ACCD..is it worth the financial burden?

That’s the problem, I wouldn’t be able to afford it right now and would have to default to loans - which is something I am desperately trying to avoid. I’ve had friends who willingly signed away their life to Sallie Mae and regret it now and they went into far more “in demand” careers than auto design. I did not get a scholarship, although I did get 85% on my portfolio review which doesn’t make sense.

One trend that really scares me about automotive design is how streamlined the design process has become. Ten years ago, you’d walk into a BMW dealership and every car would look vastly different yet still have the BMW look and feel. Now, almost every car looks exactly the same. A lot of auto companies are moving towards this singular “corporate look” approach, which I imagine - besides being cheaper - reduces the size of their design departments. Not to mention this new trend of releasing 1.5 version of vehicles instead of designing an entirely new platform.

However, 0-5 trans jobs a year sounds insane…seriously, wow…can’t imagine how many applications they must receive for each posting. Even if the top school’s graduate 12-15 people per semester, thats over 100 people looking for entry-level jobs per semester in the US! I’ve gone on these automotive websites and none of the list any openings for design either - most are looking for marketing/business side of things.

Blah - what to do. On one hand I want to tell myself “F*** it” and just do the program and find out what happens but I just can’t look past the price tag/employment numbers.