What's your favorite design movie/documentary?

I’m with consider_motion - the BBC series called the Genius of Design is fantastic. My favourite by far is the one on design for war, which happens to be on youtube: BBC The Genius Of Design 3 of 5 Blueprints For War 2010 - YouTube

Apart from that, Objectified is a really interesting one to watch. Trailer is here: Objectified trailer - YouTube

Richard: An architect in Florida told me that the way to make the most money as an architect was to “design” strip malls. They just need an architect to sign off, the clients don’t complain much and the clients pay on time. Moreover, they are always building new ones.

On the other hand, actually designing a building to function well and look good is a very rare contract.

“Great architecture requires great clients” as Louis Sullivan said.

An architect in Florida told me that the way to make the most money as an architect was to “design” strip malls.

Which are, generally speaking, paid for by a municipal “Redevelopment Agencies” under the guise of eliminating blight, or upgrading a business district, etc. Which, generally speaking, is why occupancy rates can be so dismal. How many store fronts are vacant in the one near you?

But then, when the government is paying for your building, having a few vacancies isn’t too disconcerting … after all, it isn’t your investment that isn’t being returned. Our tax dollars at work…

Can’t that be said of anything? Great X requires great clients.

You can be the best designer in the world, but if you are working at a company making widgets for walmart, chances to do great stuff is probably far between.

One of the reasons I started my consultancy. I choose my clients. Probably do 10% of the projects that are pitched to me.

R

SoCal Architecture and photography: Visual Acoustics is worth a try: http://www.juliusshulmanfilm.com

Richard: Yes, it can be said for anything. I wish I could find a way to improve the ratio of great to bad clients…

Easy. “Just say no”.

R

Somewhat OT, but I’ve always been surprised by designer’s inability to recognize our power to say NO. A lot of design is what you don’t do. A lot of people want to have input on design. And while it is important to listen because good ideas can come from anywhere, it is even more important to filter and say no.

Yo: I think that comes from a combination of factors. Personally, I’m optimistic and I feel that I can improve any project that I’m on. Experience has softened this, but I still feel that way. It takes a lot of crap for me to realize that my involvement will not improve the project.

Second is economics. We have attained a certain point in our careers where we know that we are only a few phone calls from another job. However, there is always going to be young designers and struggling consultants with a pile of bills that do not have that luxury.

Lastly, I think many of us (including myself) are a bit soft. Bob Lutz kept emphasizing this in his book from a couple years ago. He kept describing designers as “gentle people”. I think there is a little truth in stereotypes. I think design attracts more introverts than marketing or entrepreneurs (ie our clients) does. So designers get drowned out in meetings and pushed around.

Not ‘design’ per say, but visual culture:

Bill Cunningham New York
&
Annie Leibovitz Life Through a Lens

… are both spectacular documentaries and so worthy of watching.

More inspirational / business oriented; Tucker, the man and his dream.

Although the designer’s part in the movie is small, you can almost feel his transition from fear to confidence as he interacted with Tucker.

Manufactured Landscapes :wink:

+1 on Tucker. Completely different from the reality, but great flick. A 14 year old Mr-914 was very inspired…

more off topic, I’ve always wanted to blow this pic up huge on my wall - Cary Grant is a Bristolian native!
MV5BMTMyMTYyNjIzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE2ODUwNA@@._V1.SX640_SY425.jpg
Movie wise, +1 to anything by the Eames… Powers of 10, etc

Eames: The Architect and the Painter (2011)

My Architect (2003) - architect Louis Kahn … another designer with alternative family values

Andy Goldsworthy’s Rivers and Tides (2001)

Objectified and Helvetica

more later maybe…

edit pic url fixed

Just watched “Jiro Dreams of Sushi” a documentary of the worlds greatest sushi restaurant and its 85 year old chef. Not exactly design per se but it is inspiring to see how influential he has been on sushi and how much respect he has garnered by simply being the absolute best at what he does, then trying to become even better.

There’s also some great advice about honing your craft that most of us can probably relate to.

Objectified by Gay Hustwit
It’s a documentary hope it counts

http://www.objectifiedfilm.com/

I second that. Although a bit strange and a straight xfactor for design approach it did give a good insight into Starck, more further than I have seen before. It’s also a good watch for people just getting into design, it gives a good overall view of the design process and Starcks interpretation. One of the “contestants”, had graduated the year before from the university I went to. We had a lecture / event where the majority of the guys came up and gave their thoughts on the process and how it helped their career development etc. The general consensus was that after week 3 Starck lost interest, handed over most responsibility to his team and moved on to his next project. Which left them all a bit confused i think. But hey he’s Philippe Starck…he can do want he wants right?

Overall, they all said that even though it didn’t propel them into a career with Starck, Ilsa, the winner of the show completed her 6 month period with Starck and left. They felt it was a invaluable experience, from which they have all used as a spring board…As we all would I imagine.

I’m not sure of everyone’s opinion of Banksy (not that I care), but I still loved Exit Through the Gift Shop

Now I get it.

Just learned Saul Bass had a lot to do with this film in the typography and scenes composition ( he worked on Hitchcocks films too).

Japanese Craft Masters.