Job Titles and the Working World

Titles are sometimes a strange subject. I think it all depends on where you work. My job title up until about 3 weeks ago was Industrial Design Manager. We just had a re-org and HR wanted to simplify titles and turned all Design Managers in “Packaging Managers”. Your thoughts are the same as mine on that title. The key thing there is my boss flat out told HR that they could call us whatever they want, but the rest of the business will know us as “Industrial Deisgn Managers, Branding Managers,” etc…

I have found in corporate they are used to identify layers. Designer, Sr Designer, Design Manager, Director, VP, and if your lucky CDO. In corporate structure I think it is a good thing and helps to identify responsibilities. You have to remember, your company may have 35 people, mine has 500. Without a bit of structure things can get a bit crazy.

On the flip side I always find titles quite amusing in the consulting world. They tend to be higher then the actual experience of the employee. What may be a director in the consulting world would most likely be a manager or sr manager in the corporate world. This is especially true when it comes to graphic design and advertising. Everyone at these places are Art or Creative Directors. I just don’t get it.

J