1HDC 13.01 - Character Design [Discussion Forum]

THEME:
Design a Character for your favorite Book, Video Game, or Movie/TV Show

DOORS CLOSE:
Monday February 18, 2013

BRIEF:
We all love us some Sci-Fi. We all doodle characters and robots based on Star Wars or Blade Runner. Maybe creatures are your thing. A dragon from Game of Thrones or LoTR? What’s the character for your next children’s book? We know you have more in you than another watch or soccer boot. Show us what you got!

JURY:
Discussion forum moderator(s).

CRITERIA:
Designs will be judged purely on subjective opinion of the judge(s). Minimum entry will be 1 8.5” x 11” page of thumbnail sketches, and 1 8.5” x 11” rendering of the final character design. The 1HDC is about your rapid visualization skills in conjunction with a fun topic. Good composition, line weight, and rapid concept development will weigh heavily in the final design.

HOW TO ENTER:
Participants must execute their design in only 1 hour, based on an honor system. Remember, you’re posting to a pile of peers who know what is possible to be done in an hour. To enter, upload your entries to the designated competition forum.

To discuss the challenge and the entries, visit the 1HDC discussion forum.

PRIZE:
Bragging Rights and front page Core77 blog post recognition.
1HDC_13.01_character.jpg

Man, I don’t know about you all, but I’m having a hard time deciding!

so many choices I wanna try something though!

Slightly confused by the brief. Are we to design a new character for an existing movie/book/show or design a totally made up character for our own made up movie, book, or show?

Rereading it, I get your confusion. Go either way, but if you go from your own story, give some background to it so we have a little bit of context.

Anybody have any ideas as to what character to design?

Some classic scifi like Fahrenheit 451 or 1984?

I was thinking of maybe one of the soldiers in John Scalzi’s “Old Man’s War”, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man’s_War

How about how you envision the Buggers from Ender’s Game?

How about Cayce Pollard from Pattern Recognition? There’s a pretty good description of her wardrobe in the book. Would make a nice graphic novel style portrait.

This forum needs a like button. Although, I thought enders shadow was a much better book.

I think designing a whole character for a brand new universe is a bit dangerous thing to do if you apply the 1hours limit. I choose to take an existing universe (Adventure Time) and to design something related. I guess just a Boba Fett look-a(like is a bit cliché but if it’s really creative why not?

It shouldn’t be any more dangerous either way. This isn’t about the creation of a polished character. It is about getting your ideas down quickly and (most of all) having some fun.

Don’t over think this.

something from Farscape might be fun. I had also considered doing something to fit in the world of Blame! (Blame! - Wikipedia)