Dyson Airblade Tap - Discuss!

I want to see how this thing is made. I have no clue how it works.

BTW: the air from an Airblade does get heated because of the inneficiency of the motor (friction=heat).

I hadn’t thought of the safety side, but I’m sure it satisfies all major market safety regs. In the UK at least It will need fitting from scratch though, due to rules regarding the hard-wiring of bathroom electricals, and be fitted or certified by a registered electrician.

There is a short video on the website showing a cut-away sample.

Seems pretty cool, although the one thing that could be an interesting use case/disaster is what happens if the sink is full of water, (either due to the drain being plugged or inadvertently clogged) will the flow of the air spray all the water out of the sink and all over the user/bathroom?

Could be a fun set of fail videos, but I still like the concept. I get geeked out when I go to a place that has the airblade.

Did you see this bit on the Today show?

Looks like water goes all over the place…

Neat concept, dunno how well it would work in real life. I can’t imagine the electronics and water would be that much of an issue as there are already IR sensor taps that must have some sort of electricity (unless maybe battery, not sure how they work).

Personally, I don’t like air dryers of any kind. I like at least having the option of a paper towel as I also often wash my head (no hair- head gets oily). Not to mention if I spill something paper towel can be really useful.

The dyson dryers also for me always seem like I’m playing a game of “how can I not touch the sides”…

R

Some cool, but short manufacturing process videos on YouTube too.

I always seem to loose that game no mater how hard I try!

yeah, me too…

Out of all the hand driers, Dyson works the best for me though I don’t like the shape. At least this one looks better.

It’s a certainty they have the restroom electrical safety all figured out. The UK is the most regulated place I’ve ever lived - they would have planned for that. Thank goodness there’s no string to pull!

Moi, that’s hilarious!

There’s another one on their website that’s interesting too

Lol!

So don’t have Matt Lauer next to you in the bathroom and you’ll be fine.

They just need to design a sink that is just one huge mesh drain so that no water can build up on the surface and launch out.

Right, so it’s not the products fault, it is just that all the sinks in the world are wrong… interesting :wink:

Wow, $2000.

It is the demo sink, and it is quite tiny.

For 2 grand I’m surprised they didn’t improve the whole system, and have a Dyson sink as well.

Especially with the wee-wee yellow trim. Yellow in a toilet always struck me as a bold choice.

For a demo, they should have had the perfect sink for it. That is the beauty of a demo, you control it.

Yellow in the bathroom is like red in an doctor’s office…

It’s 2000€!!! &It would freak my mom out. People will still touch the ‘handles’ so no germ transfer is BS.
If he really wanted to re-invent hand-washing after a toilet visit. Why not redesign the doorhandle? So it automatically washes/disinfects your hand while leaving the toilet?..no more cheating.

I used to respect James Dyson in his early days (1st generation cycleone). Now he’s turning into a parody of himself…

I love how morning show hosts get bored after 15 seconds on a segment. Talk about ADD.

I’m not sure if there are any like me, but I get easily irritated by the noise coming from hand dryers even when they are across at the other end of the toilet. I can’t imagine having 6 of them going off simultaneously beside me.

I believe he had his hands just touching the airblade exit as it dried, causing the splash back.

So yeah if you do come across one, just distance your hands!

I think this is awesome.

Lifted from this weekend’s Wall Street Journal article on Dyson. The article states that from dead-stop the motor reaches 95,000 rpm in 0.7 seconds and that the air exits at 430 mph. :open_mouth: Are safety glasses provided?

To see fascinating sink design, visit Thai restaurants in New York City. (Maybe other places, too; I just haven’t been elsewhere.) You’ll see everything from tilted rubber slabs to, well, I don’t know what to call it when the faucet spout is a room-length horizontal bamboo (with a perforated copper pipe inside) that rains straight down, and the “sink” is pebbles on the floor behind a waist-high wall of glass. Amazingly creative ideas going on. So in fact, yup, sinks can be re-thought.