BlackBerry's new Creative Director is...

I am at a wireless conference this week here in Vancouver. Ironcially, I had a chance to chat with one of the VPs of RIM. I was still seething a bit from this announcement about keys.We had a nice chat and I held no punches.

She was…how to say…sincerely concerned that people are interpreting the Alicia Keys as simply rolling out a star and calling her Creative Director. The intention, in her words, is spokeswoman in conjunction with a creative endeavor between her and several other artists. Apparently they gathering several artists together that will be creating a unique digital art experience with the new Blackberry Z10. She IS the creative director of that endeavor…apparently.

She recognized that the roll out of the CD title for Keys could have been clearer.

I also got to hold a Z10 and play with the OS, etc. This is the part that gave me hope. Their product isn’t a Zune. It isn’t a “me too”…especially the IxD. They have done some serious UxD to address the needs of the road warrior, etc.

In a 2 minute tinker with the device I can’t say yet whether or not it pulled me back from the ledge of wanting to see Blackberry fail, but it definitely tempered my disappointment.