Industrial Design and Crime

I supported that one through kickstarter! I love it! Might not be the perfect catch-all object, but a very, very nice concept.

I kind of found this topic a bit funny, because I have a background in graphic design, and thought the same thing - pondering if industrial design wouldn’t be better for society. In my opinion, most industrial design is pretty good, even though alot of it makes for landfill. Even another beautiful chair (which, strictly, the world has enough of) can make someones life just a little bit better, letting them create a proper home.

I do however think that, throughout your career it’s very healthy to think what you’re thinking – to always question what you’re doing. To look for better solutions, better jobs, new opportunities.

I do think industrial designers can do a lot of good. Working with architects, interior architects, service designers etc. to make better solutions. I see alot of people here mentioning medical equipment. i know here in Norway, several institutions such as Norwegian Form, Norwegian Design Council, AHO (The Architect- and Design-school in Oslo) are working with projects for a better everyday life for a diversity of groups, such as elders, hospital-visitors and -employees, people with a handicaps, universal design etc etc.