Explaining what you do for a living-Industrial designer

and This topic got me curious, if you search “famous industrial designers” this pops up pretty high:

with the following definition:

Industrial designers are the people that work on connecting products to users, making them both simple to use and attractive. The field of industrial design began developing in the 19th century, when the industrial revolution came about. From then on different faces have shaped the way the world looked in specific points in time.

Read more: Famous Designers in Industrial Design | eHow.com > http://www.ehow.com/list_7167507_famous-designers-industrial-design.html#ixzz2JtThZza0

But back to your point. The idea of a certification has been batted about a lot over the years. I’ve been on both sides of the argument. I understand the desire to preserve and protect or credibility and integrity. My question has always been will a certification indeed do that?

What we do, our tools, the our processes also evolve so rapidly and vary accordingly depending on industry and specialization, that whatever certification that was put in place would have to be so at the core of who we are that it would be somewhat future proof.