Please critique my resume?

I think you’ve taken a huge step forward in the dvelopment of your resume. I think you can take it a step further to make it communicate even more effectively. This could mean introducing color, variation in type size, or maybe even type faces.

Just like anything else designers do, building a resume is an opportunity to show your visual communication skills. This does not mean that the design should be frivolous in any way, but instead that it is a calculated solution to a problem.

I agree that you should remove the definitions. Right now, the presentation doesn’s say that these are skills you have. It just says that you know the words. How can you do a better job of showing a potential employer how these skills set you apart? I’m don’t know the answer here, it’s a legitimate question.

The difference between a resume like Richard’s or Michael’s and yours is the audience. Michael is a corporate executive so most of the people who will be seeing his resume are not from creative backgrounds. Richard is a consultant and his resume is probably used to generate clients. I would bet that the reumes they show employers/clients are targeted to meet these needs.

You are much closer to the start of your career and the person who is hiring you will most likely be another designer. You need to show him/her that you have an grasp on visual communication skills. As an IXD designer, you may be presenting your resume to engineers and programmers as well. How can you show that you can do the things that they can’t? Your resume and portfolio need to show this.

Patrick