Interchangeable Footwear

“I just realized this is futile, the entire shoe is a modular part of your wardrobe, if you wanted a different looking shoe, you would just buy another shoe. It is not like they cost as much as cars.”

This is how I feel about the womens shoe with adjustable heel so you can go from low to high heel.
3 companies have now brought this to market and they all look awful. Main reason being that a womans foot is a completely different shape and length when it’s on a high heel compared to a mid heel or a flat, go look at some lasts to see how different that shape is. It’s so, so different. So, unless you can design some kind of robot-shoe that has an extendable and retractable sock, a topline that can change length, then you end up with a compromise that looks dreadful. Plus the mechanism, it’s ugly. Do we really need inventions or contraptions like this?

Yet everyone still keeps on trying it.

The companies that have had success are not the ones offering adjustable heels, it’s the ones that have found another solution to the ‘problem’, those that offer a roll up or foldable ballerina pump, that you can pop in you purse. So you can have your Louboutins with the sexy heel (instead of some monstrous telescopic bit of black ABS) and then put the ballet shoes on when you’ve had enough.

On the same tip there is someone trying to flog heel cover attachments so you don’t trash your shoes in the car whilst driving. Again, it’s a design for a problem that already has a solution, is it that hard to keep some driving shoes or old loafers in your car?

Re. the zipper shoes - I think they only really work for kids, kids like to play with toys and it makes the shoe into a toy. One of my old fast-fashion bosses back in the day said to me, ‘make the shoes look like toys.’