Sketch-Fu: Men's Footwear

Richard,

I should have been more specific. This project is about style and fashion, not function. Used simply as a way to explore new aesthetic graphic directions this process has value. Of course in the hands of an experienced designer like yourself I’m sure the functional issues could be overcome. Many times in my career while working in other industries a strong visual image can be used as a good point to start driving the discussion of new technologies to support the functional hurdles many of these studies present. This experiment is about graphic design applied to the shoe form without regard for the specifics of modern day shoe construction, with the exception that the form of the shoe is more accurate than a hand drawn sketch and that it respects the assembly of platform to upper.

These studies do no start life as a function first concept, they are all about shapes, colors, textures and being able to see those wrapped on a real shoe form in real time and then quickly rendered in a photo-real look in multiple views and variations all while you are out having lunch or asleep. If you get no happy accidents, no big deal the time invested was almost nothing, but should you get a decent success rate wouldn’t that add value to the process? There are some aesthetics now that can be manufactured but we never invest the time to explore them because the labor investment required to draw and render them in a traditional fashion is too great. So those new and potentially innovative “looks” are never explored. These tools can help unlock some of those directions.

Victordcantu,
Correct.

Humancargo,
Thanks. I’ll share more along the way. In fact I share something educational every Friday here on my You Tube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/scottrobertsondesign
Getting ready to post this week’s tutorial on colorizing a greyscale sketch in Photoshop and doing a weathering pass.