Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

Price is less than 15% the price of the current product which sells for 100,000 dollars or euros depending on which continent you buy it.

Yes, designed for standard bike grips, like the Ergon ones the best for flight control.

that’s an awesome project Nxakt, must have been a lot of fun testing protoypes :wink:

Great stuff Bbarn and Cyberdemon

Whoa, awesome Shaw!

Sooooooo cool.

Thanks guys. Has been a great endeavor to bring to life. Jetpacks have both a rich history and what we feel is a great potential to develop as a sport. Has a lot of parallels to past sports I’ve worked on at the beginnings.

And the feeling of flight and the 3D freedom of motion is awesome. :smiley:

100K?? Does that include the actual engine?

It’s hard too see what in this rig commands a 10k pricetag, but if the market can bear it - why not.

Anyway, funny you would post that yesterday as designboom posted Mark Newson’s jetpack. marc newson: body jet pack an autonomous flying device
Yours actually looks more comfortable…

(Ha, he’s actually wearing those shoes discussed in another thread)

No love for my ladder huh :wink: Guess nobody appreciates the tiny everyday problems of PD and production…

I liked the ladder. The ladder is a good example of passion for details! As Charles Eames once said, ‘the details are not the details, they are the design.’

Shoot, I missed it… that’s cool to design an extrusion! not something you do every day

wow, awesome parallel from one of my reference designers. Nice sleek design. But there seem to be some design solutions that are at odds from our experience in riding jetpacks. We had to design things around function for sport, minimal solutions were preferred, but function ruled all decisions. A few great looking ideas just didn’t test out.

Firstly, the weight of the body hangs from the jetpack when you fly and your legs swings side side to side and front to back, messing up the dynamics and CG. All that body weight has to be carried somewhere. Some designs from the 1960’s use a two strap crotch belt, but those flights last thirty seconds, maximum, due to fuel. Comfort was not a pressing concern.

The 100k Euro German water thrust model uses a little flat bike style seat, the most painful experience imaginable being lifted up in the air by your crotch and the sharp edges, add sideways swing to it and I literally had bumps inside my groin for weeks afterwards.

Marc’s design has two possible places for this weight to be suspended, the single strap between your gluteus maximii and family jewels, or on your elbows as in a vertical crunch machine at the gym. Either of these choices seem suspect in terms of comfort and control of the machine.

We developed a seat inspired by dressage horse saddles, allowing you to distribute the weight and keep the legs, 40% of your body weight, stable, and be able to grip with the thighs. Also automatically stabilizes the pendulum effect when turning great for learning. Integrated into this is the two strap design to take the stress off the centerline.

Secondly, steering in these machines is done by pivoting the vectors of thrust relative to the body CG. With a solid design as shown it is hard to see how forward or backward vectoring would be obtained. Side to side perhaps by thrust variation, however the thrust/turbine exhaust channel split looks symmetric without mechanism. Gyroscopic is defined but I am not sure how this dynamic would be achieved. It is true however that subtle movements are required.

Regarding price, several factors determine it. Low volume. No existing sales channel, distributor and retail margins have to support the new chain in order to build the sport. Competitive similar products, Flyboard and Jetovator are priced at similar range. Lastly we need the initial margin to innovate.

The othe guys 100k price includes a transplanted engine from a jetski.

I like your ladder! I have climbed many of those, sometimes icey in the winter, I did an internal visualization on the hand feel and foot feel of your rung design and liked it better. And I liked your details about the production and the kilometers of alloy extruded.

Jetpacks, dude. Jetpacks.

Just kidding. Extrusions are a lot of fun. Nice work on your project.

Haha yeah the bar has been raised significantly. Thanks all, I feel fine again. Posting something and not receive any comment sucks @$$.

I replied dude, right after you posted it.

Damn you’re right, totally missed that! Thanks man.

Here is a new line of gear I worked on for One Industries.

Daniel Stearman

Congrats! Loving that zipper detail on the jacket! That seems like some pretty sophisticated product for Motocross. Breaks from the typical loud gear?

Thanks Michael
Yes a little departure from the standard gear. This is more meant for downhill bike market so a little bit more of a fusion from outdoor industry. The other feature with the storm flap is it is a magnetic closure so really nice how it close it’s self.

Not as interesting as the camera, but my first real mass production product to come to market here at Bould Design: GoPro HD3 cables. This was a project that I worked on early last year, when I was still quite new, but its recently come on the market with the new HD3 camera release. Bould Design also worked on the camera design, but this is the part I had the most input on. A great way to demonstrate that even the smallest and least noticed parts of a well designed product have meticulous thought and consideration put into it.

Pretty awesome to know that these are getting shipped with every single GoPro HD3 though!

Nice! Congrats! Nice to have worke on such a high profile brand!

Nice! I deeply respect any brand that will design and manufacture their own cables. Did the concept 3 come after someone said concept 2 was too expensive?

@Yo: Thanks! Even though they’re just lowly cables, it feels great to hold something in your hand that started as a sketch from your pen.

@engio: Yeah making your own branded cables definitely takes your product up a notch. And it was a great small project for a junior like me to take from beginning to end.