Sketch-Fu: Men's Footwear

Victordcantu, no I don’t think so, but you might need to adapt in order to stay relevant. But that has always been the case throughout the visual communication history of industrial design. Markers replace watercolors then Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro displace traditional media rendering and next it looks to me through my experiments that 3D + 2D will add to the mix of tools you will be able to use. The concept design process is very different with these new techniques. Instead of starting with a blank piece of paper and adding complexity each step of the way you start with something photo-real and often times more complex than you could ever draw and then work to simplify it. It still requires a designer’s eye to create the source images for the mapping and the editing and refinement passes needed to create something worthwhile. So it is a very different conceptual design experience. But as far as productivity is concerned there is no comparison. I can generate these much faster than decent traditional media sketches.

Plus, I don’t want your job. I want to inspire and create new and innovative ways to help you advance your craft to the next level. I’m happy to just innovate and educate.