Interchangeable Footwear

Thanks for the replies.

I was already aware of the Nat2 brand and their interchangeable style and i totally agree with Richard and Michael, that they don’t look good. The system they use is so badly executed that it looks cheap, and too bulky. They’ve essentially got two shoes in one but both on the outsole at the same time which makes it too out of proportion as there is way too much fabric and layering of components going on.
I’ve been approached by a clothing company to come up with some ideas for this type of product ,to compliment their classic, minimalist feel on clothing. I want the shoe to look and feel as natural as possible and to not compromise on the overall look and simplicity because of the interchangeability.
I’m thinking of developing 2 initial products. Both uppers on the products will disconnect via zip [still thinking about this one] at the most forward point of the eyelet/facing panel and zip round to the other side to remove the upper. This means that the outsole will have the toecap/vamp connected and possibly tongue [this could be interchangeable too] as i think if the toe/vamp is lasted onto the sole the shoe will look much more conventional from the wearers perspective and also on display which i believe is important. The first consideration is a lo top which i’m thinking should have a common projects “achilles” look, which will transform into a rather nice hi-top. The second option is going to be same construction, but again two different uppers styles, but due to the panelling on these styles the other two uppers from the first option will not fit this kit. So all in all you have 4 footwear styles [for the time being] across two kits.
Development process will begin soon…