Sketch-Fu: Men's Footwear

I’ve been having fun sketching shoes lately. Are there good resources out there to learn about shoe construction?

You can check my site firstpullover.com

Also happy to answer any question or any thread on core of course or feel free to pm me.

R

Wow, great stuff. Thanks R!

Happy to help. Any questions, let me know

R

Not been doing shoes lately. So came up with this exercise the other day.

Will do one thumbnail sketch of a shoe under 5 mins. Atleast 5 everyday. Period.

Here is sheet 1 in progress

Nice sketch page.

Churned out another one. Now got to get back to work. Have to do a briefing presentation tomorrow. Good night sketchaholics!

Haven’t contributed to this thread in years. Just got a new iPad and love it… Been into skate shoes lately.

Nice! One of the cleaner iPad sketches I’ve seen.

very nice Phil!

Thats one clean sketch Phil. Hard to believe that its from an iPad but I do :wink:

Here is a warm up page where I tried doing one thumbnail sketch every 5 minutes.

Nice page Viper. Thanks everyone for the comments.
Another fun iPad sketch today… Always thought a Zoom Safari concept would be fitting for a cross country racing spike…

definitely a good theme for an xc spike!

Viperoshanali:

I like your design, that gives a dynamic element to the shoe. The sketch is beautiful and natural. Is adidas?

Hi All,
This is my first post here. I just recently turned my attention towards designing footwear and here are 20 teaser examples of my quick “upper” sketches. These are of course developed with different tools than traditional media sketches but due to the speed with which I can generate them and the loose gestural nature they end up having they are technically just “sketches.” Used as a means to stimulate new aesthetic directions I think they are pretty fun. So fun in fact that I did 700+ of them last week.

i think that’s Scott Robertson ya’ll!!! Oh snap!!! Yo Scott those sketches r sweet…is that modo ur using? like in the space suits…

Thee are really cool, Can totally see how explorations like these could help spark some crazy new concepts.

Yes, it is modo with some programming modifications to speed up the styling process that shall remain a trade secret for the time being.
Scott Robertson

This is a massive production. We are going to become obsolete. Good job.

Victordcantu, no I don’t think so, but you might need to adapt in order to stay relevant. But that has always been the case throughout the visual communication history of industrial design. Markers replace watercolors then Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro displace traditional media rendering and next it looks to me through my experiments that 3D + 2D will add to the mix of tools you will be able to use. The concept design process is very different with these new techniques. Instead of starting with a blank piece of paper and adding complexity each step of the way you start with something photo-real and often times more complex than you could ever draw and then work to simplify it. It still requires a designer’s eye to create the source images for the mapping and the editing and refinement passes needed to create something worthwhile. So it is a very different conceptual design experience. But as far as productivity is concerned there is no comparison. I can generate these much faster than decent traditional media sketches.

Plus, I don’t want your job. I want to inspire and create new and innovative ways to help you advance your craft to the next level. I’m happy to just innovate and educate.