DAAP Chair Summer 2012 - Done

Back in Cincy, I’ve had some time over co-op to think about how I want to dial it in for my portfolio and reflect on the overall process/experience

Lew, I definitely should have listened to you, I’ve started playing around with brazing in the last week and it is amazing how little secondary work I have to do with the correct fit up. I probably would have still MIGed the large structural welds but the tiny connections were begging to be brazed. Lesson learned.

Overall the comfort of the chair is really nice I’ve spent a couple 2-3 hour stints on it reading. I’ve had a couple 250lbs plus people sit on it with no issues.

The upholstery was really shoddy, it was my first time upholstering something like this and working with leather that large and it showed. I put together a inspiration board over coop of what I wanted the new upholstery to look like: Tailored, tight, fitted, detailed.

I picked up a pair of NB NewSky shoes over co-op which are made from recycled PET felt which I was able to source. Fortunately it’s about a tenth the cost of leather so it gave me freedom to experiment. I just did a test cover for the ottoman, quilted felt top with a small leather tag that underneath has the serial number (or potentially some branding)

About to get going on the seat cushions in a similar style, any feedback crit would be great. I’m still on the fence about the execution of the leather tag. I like the idea but debating the scale and placement of the cushion. The other idea was to have a sewn on square of leather in the quilting