Nivea by Fuseproject

Anyone with cosmetics structures experience care to comment on this?

My take is that the concept is interesting, the blue circle is clean/bold/euro, but the innovation and problem solving that would bring this bottle to life are in production infrastructure - a multi-million dollar endeavor. Where’s the bottle finish? How is that cap inserted on a production line? And how can a design firm make claims to reduction in material usage when they have little-to-zero back-end influence?

"Top areas are given an angle facing the customer, a gentle slope reminiscent of a hand offering a service. This branded design element has a dual purpose: to anchor the Nivea graphic on the bottle and to increase brand recognition on the shelf.

The current and future reduction of bottle and packaging shapes creates new efficiencies within the company. At the same time, the geometry of the new design allows for improved functionality and less material used overall by up to 15%. The weight reduction of the packaging combined with a label reduction of 23% (by switching to a different material and liner), as well as transportation optimization due to tighter packing are contributing to the overall 2020 goals of Beiersdorf to reduce its carbon footprint by 30% per product. In addition, all materials used are fully recyclable and all formulas have an average of over 80% non-fossil ingredients."

I think this is a really smart looking design - I think fuse has managed to create an elegant yet modern design that does seem iconic. It’s hard to truly judge until you see the whole line, but the language is strong. As for justification into product line implications, it’s hard to answer that, but you see more and more the customization of caps/pumps/lids, typically the most expensive part of the package. I think it’s a smart investment as it presents a more sophisticated looking package that communicates a more sophisticated product, and on a practical level it is unique to Nivea.

There is a line a bit down from the top where I presume the bottle finish is. It’s a flush fit with no real shoulder.

kl

I noticed that. Could it be that the blue ‘cap’ is really just a decorative piece, co-molded or assembled to the real cap? And the threads are aligned so that the blue element is always aligned forward? That’s interesting… it doesn’t really speak to plastic resource reduction though.

Nice looking, but I’m not getting enough info on how this used from the pics. It’s clean, but doesn’t blow my mind.

Is this a lid you flip up like a toothpaste tube? If so, which direction and where is the hinge? Is this a pump? Does the lid screw off? Is this a squeeze bottle and the cap is in the open position? If so, which side does it come out of? Maybe more intuitive in real life, but I hate fancy packaging I can’t figure out immediately how to open.

R

I watched the video for more clues, but there wasn’t any indication of how it opens or works. (Cumulatively Behar has more screen time than the concept itself). There must be something going on with that faint part line near the cap though.

I think claims of resource reduction are greenwash without facts to back them up.

These days, anything will get an added premium if Yves Vehar’s name is attached to it, no matter what.

My favorite packaging redesign that doesn’t get enough credit are the 1-gallon milk jugs you find at some warehouse stores.

That’s pretty cool. What it calls attention to is the importance of the overall system, and how changes almost HAVE to be applied through a system. Its not S3xy to describe conveyor systems and palleted goods however.

As a branded object on the other hand that milk jug seems to fit its environment perfectly (big box stores).

OT, but you gotta get on milk BAG thing we got going up in Canada. Even more efficient I would think. 3 bags total 4L.

I don’t use them since I don’t drink that much milk however :slight_smile:

R