Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

I can kick this off with an odd one. It’s not your average design blog front page stuff, but perhaps what some might call real ID trench work :wink: Designed almost 3 years ago, but just now went up on the website, so by definition my most newly released work.
It’s quite boring stuff that I wouldn’t put in a portfolio, but I think there are enough nerds on this board who will appreciate the backstory.

I present: a ladder rung.
Background: facelift
Constraints: had to fit in the same production line, meaning almost the same shape. I improved the non-slip abilities, without making it too harsh on the hands while climbing. I send the final drawing to the production engineer, he replies with “eehm, that cross section area is 5% bigger than the old one. Yes it matter because we extrude a couple thousand km rungs each year, it’s a boatload of cash in aluminium. But you can’t make it thinner than 1.2mm because of regulations” So I shave away and end up with less material than the old one without compromising any ergonomics or strength, all while utilising a familiar design que for the brand. That felt warm and fuzzy.

1 Like