IDEO on 60 Minutes

For me, that requires a paycheck. I certainly am not passionate about most anything I have professionally designed. I have only bought 1 product out of all of the ones I designed. And that was a pregnancy test. And in that case, a positive can be a positive or a negative. That certainly throws a wrinkle into its design.

For me, it’s all about being professional in the use of my time to accomplish the “great” design (please note the irony of me posting this during business hours). And I couldn’t agree more about the time needed. That was the issue I had with the one time I worked with ideo. They flew in, did some 50,000 foot fluff, and then flew out. They, atmo, did not do the due diligence to determine anything much beyond regurgitating what the client told them in the first place. I can’t really blame ideo, they were likely on a slim budget. Or their hourly was huge, god bless them.

While that is only an anecdotal experience, my point is it takes a tremendous amount of time to determine how to change behavior. There is no quick panacea. I am currently working on a 160-year-old problem that has not wielded a solution to change behavior to date. But we have taken that 160 years of knowledge, and used it as a guide for a potential solution. It may launch in 2014, it may not.