Inductive Stylus for Ipad ??? Or Cintiq, still

I’ve had the gateway convertible laptop with wacom tech. and I have a cintiq at work, plus a tablet at home…I still use paper and pen for at least starting out, then I sketch over it on the cintiq. I used the gateway for a long time in school, but I was never really able to sketch on it. The cintiq has something like 2000+ points of sensitivity, while the gateway with the wacom bits had like 250ish…

I’ve looked at the slate tablet pc’s, but i’m still skeptical that they will have the same problem as the gateway.

I think the best bet is to find a used 12" sized cintiq as they go for what you would get a new medium intuos for.

I’m not a fan of the 12 inch cintiq (I have one as well). It is kind of a neither fish nor meat thing. It isn’t portable (not at all) and it is awkward on a desk.

Yeah I tried the 12" and found it super useless. Doesn’t give you the real estate or resolution that you’d want, and the giant wad of cables tethering it make it really awkward.

Cool, thanks guys you are giving me nice guidance,here.
Perhaps we can use this thread to report further experiences on the matter. For now first of all I tried out the Jot pro on my phone. Needs some serious getting used to. Feels like pushing a hockey puk to draw a line.

I’ll borrow an Ipad to gain further experience.

Sadly there will be no way to burry a 24’ Cintiq in corporate expenses this year…
So I’ll wait until after christmas to see whats arround in the consumer priced field by then.

mo-i

One downside of a tablet PC is that when you’re drawing/working near the edge, you really don’t have anything to rest your hand on… the border on the Cintiqs takes care of that for you

Theres also the pogo-stick for the ipad. Anyone tried it? (pressure sensitive input)

So far, I’ve been disappointed with the light duty specs and small screens trend I’m seeing on these newly introduced Windows 8 tablets - and only few support a Wacom stylus …but, here’s a nice Dutch product that at least comes close to the size of the EP121, but with apparently better spec’s.

http://www.paceblade.com/index.php?products_details=2

Does anyone of you use a Galaxy note for sketching? There are pretty impressive artworks out there. Worth a try?

mo-i

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 over an S3 for its drawing capabilities. Ive tried all the drawing apps I can find. In my opinion, the #1 app on the android marketplace is called “markers.” It is a barebones sketching app, there is no layers, but it is smooth as butter and has the most user friendly interface. It also has the ability to give pressure sensitivity to non pressure sensitive devices. I don’t know how it actually works (it is NOT simulated pressure based on your speed)… But I was able to get pressure sensitivity on my Droid X using just my finger.

My Recommended Pressure Sensitive Drawing Apps in Order:
1st. Markers (free, silky smooth, best ui, no layers)
2nd. Sketchbook Mobile (brushes, most features, unintuitive but usable ui)
Tied for 3rd. Layer Paint (responsive, terrible ui, layers)
3rd. S-Note (record sketch, pages)
4th. Lecture Notes (pages)

Ive attached a sample sketch using Markers.

Thanks !

THAT Rooster ROCKS !

Now I just have to rethink how to unload the Iphone to get a Samsung
or I’ll have to get a second “phone” just to use it as a sketchpad. Weird,
but I’ll look into it.

mo-i

@bngi, are you talking about the Pogo Connect, blue tooth enhanced stylus

Pogo Connect 2 - An innovative digital pen for iPad.

It looks pretty cool. I haven’t talked to anybody who has used it and the testimonial movies do not convince me that it does anything special. It’s also $80.

I just got any iPad and I’m in the market to upgrade my current stylus.

From the front page the other day. Made me think of this topic.
http://m.core77.com/blog/cartoons/coretoon_pressure-sensitive_stylus_24132.asp

Yeah exactly. Theres also the Jot stylus from http://adonit.net/ which looks interesting. Should get one soon if i can spare some cash. Not a fan of the bulky tips like the pogo and other standard styli’s. (Sooo what is the plural form of stylus…needs to be settled.)

I don’t know about the Jot, that clear disc makes me uneasy, but I have not tried so that is totally unfounded.

I have the Jot Touch. As far as the standard stylus aspect, it’s nice. I don’t’ mind the plastic disc. BUT, the disc does mark some screen protectors. (I had a zagg HD something or other that the Jot didn’t scratch, but it wasn’t very clear. I put a cheap screen protector on and it has gathered a few scratches)

I can’t really speak to the pressure sensitivity because my stylus quit working after the first use. It’s apparently a very common problem and they will replace it, but I haven’t had time to mail it back. :confused:

As a side note, I have an old compaq TC1100 tablet that I used to use like a cintiq. I haven’t messed with it in a couple years, but at the time it ran windows 7 and sketchbook acceptably and had a wacom digitizer. Not an ideal solution, but it was cheap when I bought it, and they’re probably even less now.

Saw this earlier today. Seems like good round up of of all the popular stylus out there.

Nice link,

I agree too since I’ve tried a ton of those and the Bamboo is my favorite. The rubbery tip provides a really nice balance of friction and slip to let you draw with it. The only downside I’ve seen is a friend who bought one tore through the rubber rather quickly, though he was using it for gaming for hours a day.

Pogo Connect pressure sensitive stylus for iPad review on Gizmodo.

I tried the Adonit pressure sensitive stylus at CES last week. The levels of pressure sensitivity was far too low and jumpy to be useful in my opinion. However the weight and feel of the stylus and the clear plastic disk tip both felt really good.

I have a Cintiq 12 ux here at home and it doesn’t have the sensitivity of the bigger 21" I had with my previous employer. It does work well for I use it for and the price was pretty good. I may look for a used 21" this year and try to sell the 12". The freelance work I have done with it has paid for it 2 or 3x over.

Now I have a retina iPad and i want to try to use it as a sketch pad.

Good to know! Wish i could try it out,
Cant imagine that The pogo will have a much better pressure sens than adonit. Theres also that gigantic rubber nib on the pogo, but seems likely that they will offer other nibs since they have thst magnetic system,