Women in Industrial Design

I apologize for hijacking your topic, Smyoung, but now that we are on the subject of workforce diversity, where are the gay industrial designers? Either they weren’t out when I was in school or they weren’t existent. I take that back… there were 2 that I found out towards graduation were gay ; only because of their Facebook page, but the rest of the men seemed very tough and rumble straight men (not that gay men can’t be “masculine”) and very obvious of their love for cars, machines, tools and of course, women (sex jokes, crass comments, etc) which drove them to ID.

Before I offend anyone on the forum; I am not generalizing and claiming all straight men speak crass about women/sex or that all gay men are feminine or interested in housewares and interiors either. Just had to make that clear.

I am just making this observation from my own experience from meeting so far many married/dating, hetero industrial designers throughout my business involvements and interviews, etc… and from the ones I encounter online or in person when a student. There are design fields that are filled with creative and openly gay men, such as fashion and interiors, but for some reason, I don’t see a lot of gay men within industrial design. I could be wrong as I am fairly new to the industry and maybe many of straight men/women on here can vouch for knowing an out gay industrial designer in their midst, but it just seems that ID, just like women, doesn’t seem to attract many gay men.

Can anyone comment?