How many shoes to bring?

I just told them to give me 5 minutes and asked for a bottle of water. Doesn’t take long. Usually there is some dilly dallying at the beginning of an interview anyway.

I would also bring a packet of random sketches and just let them flip through it.

The points I wanted to cover were mainly around leadership, ideating and developing product around user and brand insights. I was intentionally abstracting it from footwear, but either way it works. I kept the focus on the people I was designing for and how the product solved a problem for them, fit into their life, and made a cultural connection between them and the brand I was designing for.

I’d also try to work in anecdotal examples of a challenging product, a project where I failed but show what I learned, a challenging team situation and how it was dealt with… they are going to ask that stuff anyway. Work it in to a broader story on your own terms vs having the question put upon you.

I always had the process documentation in the back pocket, but most people don’t need to see that multiple times.

Remember, a portfolio and an interview are just a vehicle. If you are there, chances are they feel you have the skills. Now it is about personality, attitude, and group dynamics. Make it a conversation.