What to do in a confusing situation prior to tertiary study?

I went to an engineering and business/management course at first. I didn’t do badly, but everything was a chore. I eventually decided to switch. I’m now in my third year of a design undergrad, and loving every second. It might be easier to get a job in commerce at the moment, but personally I’d rather work hard preparing myself for a dream career than just walk into a job i could care less for.

It sort of does, especially for finding a first job / placement. It’s an easy first filter for people in a hiring position if they have a history with a certain course and trust that the average graduate from there is better. In other words, from what I know it usually goes more by personal history/knowledge of a course, than Uni rank. You can get around that though, by being noticeable in other ways. One example making a creative (but professional) application. Whatever you do, don’t expect that graduating form an engineering course at a good uni will help you more than a product design course from a lesser known uni, if you are applying for a design job.

Having equipment and facilities is great, but the people are more important. You want teachers, technicians, and probably most important, peers that inspire you and push you to do more and better.

I completely agree with this. If you are set on becoming a product designer, then start working on the core skills right away. Even if your credits don’t transfer, if you think that the other course is good enough to warrant it, transfer anyway and do the extra year. You’ll get a head start and come out stronger for it.

Don’t count on it. Live projects are good and all, but they aren’t internships.

hope that helped you and good luck.