2013, a year for Epic Sci Fi

Where the heck were you watching the film? Osaka? :wink:

The subtext is that Shaw is a lone female in a misogynist spaceship society. She can’t do what she wants, can’t get the healthcare she needs, and the medpod can’t help her either.

Am I alone in seeing resemblances between the medpod shape and the alien’s head? Something about the machine reminds me of the original Giger drawing.

Ridley Scott’s redo of Blade Runner out in 2013? Probably not:

“Harrison Ford may take a small role in Ridley Scott’s forthcoming Blade Runner sequel, according to the director.

In an interview with the Independent, Scott said he hoped Ford would take a guest role in the planned project. “I don’t think it’ll be Harry [starring],” he said. “But I’ve got to have him in it somewhere. That’d be amusing.”

It emerged earlier this year that Ford was in talks for the new Blade Runner film, which has since been revealed as a sequel with a female protagonist at its core. The actor, now 69, played the lead role of replicant hunter Rick Deckard in Scott’s classic 1982 future noir. Scott’s involvement was revealed in March last year and followed his decision to return to science fiction film-making after three decades with Prometheus, a film “set in the same universe” as 1979 futuristic horror Alien.”

I dont know whether to feel good that an Evangelion inspired movie is coming out or be bummed because now there will probably never be an Evangelion movie because it will just seem like it was a pacific rim knockoff :angry:

anyways, anything guillermo del toro is usually good in my book.

just take that sentiment and leave… haha :smiley:

too many film critics these days!

hey, the ‘pointing out of prometheus plot holes’ party ended like 6 months ago…

Hey, can’t quote out of context - I clearly said it looks terrible as a film, but awesome as a 90 minute barrage of robots beating stuff up.

If you sit through that and go “wow this plot of people trying to save the world from an Alien worm hole is a novel concept” then I have a DVD collection I want to share. :wink:

i see your point, and im not excitied about it because i think its a novel concept, but the same could be said about almost everything in this world, movies, music, food, even design!
rarely is there anything anyone on this board comes up with that is a COMPLETELY new concept or idea, but we dont come out of the woodwork bashing it, (well maybe some of us do :stuck_out_tongue: )

point being, yes i love movies of that genre, so when another one comes out and is kind of just a rehash of the aliens vs us or giant monster vs us concept im happy because i enjoy it and it never gets old to me.
I think most people feel that way about genres but yet feel the need to try and flex their “Film” knowledge by stating that the plot is not new or the acting is not award worthy, etc.
Not gonna say that people cant voice their opinion, but i just think its a moot point, and generally no one disagrees with what you are stating, they just dont care.

that was the first ive seen of the oblivion movie. interesting how the basic setting of that and after earth are so similar, but the trailer for oblivion makes the actual story seem quite different? at least thats what i get from the trailers.

I had the same feeling. Seems like that classic situation where two studios do “astroid ending the earth” movies. Essentially two studios did “post human” Earth movies.

dont forget about Antz vs A Bug’s Life!

exactly.

Enders Game (Nov 2013). This should be epic… the book is a classic of SciFi

pic fixed

Really? I hadn’t heard Ender’s Game was being turned into a movie. That could be great. Any news on the director, producer or cast?

that’s Harrison Ford there in the promo pic… fingers crossed they don’t mess it up

Saw a cool indy SciFi tonight - was good. “Safety Not Gauranteed”

“WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED. I have only done this once before.”

Ooooh…Ender’s Game!

I hadn’t heard that was coming out either!

Harrison Ford is in fact in it with Gavin Hood credited with writing the screenplay and directing.

Ford is a great pick for Commander Graff - he’s definitely got Sci-Fi cred

side note - it’s cool in the beginning of the book how they use internet forums to gain political momentum. Reminds me of Core77 forums :wink:

That book was sooo ahead of its time. I read it in middle school originally. The rest of the series is good as well. I re-read it all about a year ago.

Hmmm…I lost interest 1/2 way through book 3. I can’t remember why, exactly…but I put it down at some point and it never got picked up again.

if you got through book I and book II, then got bored halfway book III… it must have been a little interesting! :wink:

The first one is definitely the best, if you hadn’t read that one

I was actually lost on the series in book two. But I felt invested. I also loved the first book so much, that I believed that it HAD to get better…but it never did for me.

Kinda sorta related to this thread…a great geek ride through the F/X ILM did for the movie The Avengers: