Women in Industrial Design

This could very quickly turn this into a different conversation than originally intended…I’ll try to keep it in context…

We disagree here…well, maybe. The issue for me is typically behavioral (cultural) vs. racial (skin color/gender, etc.). There are plenty of white dudes that are all “gangsta” as much as any other skin color. It is the behavior of the gangsta mentality that I believe is what should be discussed, not whether they have a certain skin color.

Similar to this conversation, I see a man and woman walking through the door should be judged on their behavior/skills not the orientation of their dangly bits.

Now, there is the whole issue of gender roles in society. From the 60’s on, women have been asking for “equality” in the work place. Equal pay, equal opportunity to rise to the top of the food chain, etc. But they also want months (year long) maternity, and flex time to be able to take care of kids, etc. The wants and realities don’t jive. I fall under the opinion that having children is a personal choice and not one that is the responsibility of an employer to bear. If you disappear for a year and someone comes in that is better and faster than you…is that the employer’s fault? I know…controversial, but something that needs to be discussed far more.

In the context of this discussion, a part of it that isn’t discussed is that there’s a LOT of research out there that shows that women are far more competitive when it comes to other women than anyone wants to admit. Studies have shown that women will be inclined to stake claim to their corporate territory and are more likely to discourage other female hires into potentially competitive roles.

Also, consider it from the other angle. The boss (male) needs to hire for a role of someone that has to be working side to side with him for 40 hours+ a week. The top candidate is a VERY talented female…she also happens to be VERY attractive. I can promise you, more times than not, the man will second guess this hire because he knows the kind of grief he’s going to get at home from his wife.

This discussion is a sociological onion.