Adidas Next Step

Dziner82.

Thanks for the feedback, I really apreciate your comments and your time.

Obviously I’m not focused on the technical aspects of the shoes, or performance characteristics. Honestly, I do not know where to begin to design a shoe with innovations or performance with basic features.

There is something counterproductive, something dangerous, something to do with friction in wood floor in basketball courts. A sole too sticky, causing the foot to stop suddenly, with the risk of serious injury to the anterior cruciate ligament, or ankles. I can not decide on that aspect, because I am no expert in materials, I should point out features that could be engineered. Thinking reduce the area of contact with the flooring, can handle a special product to reduce friction. I do not know, it’s just my imagination. I have no idea of proportions, all designs adapted to the natural shape of the foot, trying to fit well. In the design having x-rays of the foot, I exaggerated the thickness of the sole (My mistake, isnt midsole) so you can be well visualized. I know some things have a risky proportions and with little support, but I have oversized the characteristics of each design, to make it very obvious and outstanding, for the person who appreciates the design immediately know that this is the proposal, and is treated to judge the concept. I’ve seen sketches of designers who exaggerate the aesthetic and proportion, do it on purpose to highlight those areas, try to do something about it, highlighting certain features for review.

It is, to make a product “real” implies modify and adapt to perform well, but the purpose of this exercise is to seek alternative aesthetic of a product line, in this case: Adidas.

Personally, I’ve learned some lessons, I have clung to find five feet to the cat. I had an idea and I have clung to find good sides, but there are not many things that rescue. It could take five years proposing ideas, and the results would be the same. Exercise is now reversed. Trying to grow the character, be more humble, and work spontaneously. I’ve learned that skepticism is unfavorable in a designer. Never discard a line without drawing it. I have based This exercise on hunches, “I feel this way, and this concept can give interesting results.” I’ve risked a spontaneous idea and I’ve been true to that feeling, I’ve been lucky so far, and I am satisfied with the exercise of creativity. “I have an idea right now, I want the structure, I know it will work, but I also want a base to start it to build, I want the inspiration and concept, and now I want to see the product, to bet.” And there’s the product can be displayed, and you can change things, remove and replace. Of course I’m no expert in shoe design, but exercise puts me in the position of being the owner of the brand, the marketing manager, the designer and the consumer. And that’s good exercise, be free to propose whatever, and interesting things can emerge. If I was working as an employee, of course I should make 1000 sketches, until the marketing manager is satisfied with the work. But, for now, it is not.
It’s confusing, seeing the features of different products, there are shoes with very high arches, there are shoes with a very thick sole, others with a very thin sole, etc … The next step is to seek information about the characteristics and performance. There are many people who are in charge of it, meanwhile the exercise is to find concepts that attempt to move away from the current adidas line. Why? It’s simple. There is a shortage of creativity in the design of shoes. The brands are competing in who is the most adept at copying. On the other hand, there are brands that are frozen in time, whose designs do not evolve, and it is disappointing, for a designer, see unfair competition between brands. Crewkid asked me: Is this an aesthetic exercise? What are you Incorporating performance features into your design?

I feel that if a designer is able to innovate in performance of shoes, you should not give your creativity, the ideas should be protected. The aesthetics of a product can not be patented, but there are ideas that can be protected.

In the first design, I tried to merge the foot with the product, a shoe stylized to look like a machine, when I saw Tron motorcycle, I remembered the old illustrations of heavy metal magazine, showing motorcycles following a stylized human figure. Something I wanted to do with this design, despite the performance problems that a shoe can have. But that’s the inspiration.

Thanks.

I’ve seen a site where some designers take very seriously the 3D renderings. They explain the advantages of rendering close to reality.

http://www.aniden.com/portfolio/view/under-armour-shoe-renderings

You have a lot of enthusiasm and ideas, and it needs to be channeled in a usable way. Every time someone gives you feedback you find a reason to ignore it or say “I don’t know the technical aspects”. In the professional world you will need to listen to feedback, take it in, think about it and integrate it. Start demonstrating how you can apply the information being given back to you.

Forget the renderings for awhile. Get the design right. Once the design is correct, then begin a rendering.

Check out the below image. I put some magenta lines on your last sketch to show where to push the proportions to get that right first.

Also, the second image shows some basic foot terms. You can learn a lot more about the anatomy of the foot simply by googling.

It helps to start by sketching feet. Stop thinking of them as shoes, and start thinking of them as prosthetic calluses with cushioning. When I started designing footwear, I started by drawing feet, then adding layers. Cut up a bunch of old shoes with a hacksaw and an exacto knife so you can see what goes inside.
A00524F01.jpg

Thanks Yo.

All comments I have taken seriously, even I removed the bow to the sole of the first design, at the suggestion of you.

I’ll base it strictly on foot.

You’ve given me an idea for a design inspired by the feet.

In this design, I explore the symmetry in the sole, and the tip of the shoe design chosen first. Organic forms. Looking organic platforms, keeping the adizero style.

Inspiration: Terminator foot (Calcaneus), HR Giger

Victor,
you have good enthusiasm, creativity, and some good skills with renderings, but still getting better on proportions. BUT, what Yo mentioned about your response to feedback is true and preventing you from progressing.

Every bit of feedback I give you are things that matter in the real world, which I assume is the world you want a Job in :slight_smile: If you were nearby/local i am confident that you would have gotten an internship at the company i work for due to your passion for footwear. The things that im giving you feedback on would be the first things that you would learn and correct in your work, i assume the same is true for the other professional designers that re giving you feedback, so be sure you are recognizing that.

work on balancing real world physics, manufacturing, and business sense with your blue sky marketing/design. right now you seem to be 95% blue sky, and just too much ‘designer speak’ that in my opinion hurts you more than it helps. if you dialed that back to even 70% blue sky and 30% reality you would improve greatly as a designer i think.

also, your latest design looks cool. would love to see a visual story of its progress. Not just a paragraph followed by a rendering. use your skills to visually explain why things are the way they are on the shoe, and why its better than something else on the market. this is not an ‘easy’ thing to do, but you need to be able to do it. Work on doing that and less on churning out renderings.

Thank you for your support.
Apologies for my absence.

In this second design “hybrid”, I get closer adizero style, angle of 90 degrees in the heel, platform carrying the weight of the heel. The design is somewhat less risky (commercially) as above. I like to think that evolution that pretend to adizero line can get to the point of the first design, and take small steps based on this second design.

Yo was right, it is best to think of the foot or a last, as a basis for design of shoe. I did it the other way, thinking of a shoe design, and then adapted to the foot. When a shoe is correct in proportion, always looks good, no matter the design. I was doing it wrong.

Thanks for tracking that you give to my project. Well, at first I was really motivated and inspired by these things shoe design. But thinking realistically, it’s just difficult trying to be Hollywood star, who try to be a mass product designer. Companies are very closed to the ideas of people from outside the company, it’s like when a salesperson knocks on the door of your house, decide in advance to be skeptical.

Well I have inspiration, but I have no motivation, and not eager to achieve professionalism, not in my position, from here I can not get to see options for me.

There are things about this design, I like this concept. Hybrid does not have anything to do with characteristics of various designs assembled in one shoe. Rather, it has to do with a consumer focus. I have not much time now, but then I will prepare some marketing for this product and more about the project, sketches and ideas.

Greetings to all and best wishes.

The concept “hybrid” is inspired by the human body physical anomalies, focusing on the Egyptian foot and 6 fingers. It would be interesting to know how many people with anomalies as well.

I want to link the term “hybrid” to make it more elegant, and do not expose this concept in a derogatory manner. Also linking this with human hybrids (science fiction) and not handle the concept as anomalies rather like privileges, eccentricities, advantages, beauty.

Also explore aesthetics of Egyptian culture, ornamentation with hieroglyphics, and a color palette that alludes to that.

I like the lag of the line of holes for the laces, made ​​to move that item to the side, eccentric.

Choto:

Thank you very much.

Advertising.

Something inspired by the work of the artist Eiko Ishioka.
What can be more organic than the human body?

Things related to muscle tissues.

Advertising.

More advertising.

I’m afraid i can only echo what others have said before me and that is to listen and take on board criticism. The shoes above in my opinion need some work and as conceptual pieces are ok but to progress in the real world you will need to listen and become more grounded.

Good luck

Hello, nordmade, how are you?

Thank you for viewing this difficult exercise to find an alternative image to a successful concept, like the Adizero.

I accept all the criticism, I have no problem with that. And I’m happy with the advice that all users of this community has given me. The main objective of this exercise is to explore, find a starting point to see below, look for something more than a successful line, which the company has taken many years of work. And I want to do in a few days, is a great challenge.

Of course, the designs need more work. Plan, design, execute, make a shoe takes maybe months. And every design I’ve done, I have taken less than 24 hours. That includes: think I want to do, because it? marketing thinking, sketching, making renders, do advertising. A lot of work in a short time, and combine all that with other things to do, etc … That means it is a challenge of time and quality. Think fast and make quick decisions. If we look at it that way, we can identify a significant effort on my part. And if you see that I do not have a title or footwear design studies, you may have a different perspective of what I’m doing here. Another important part is that I made the effort, has inspired some good friends shoe designers.

“…The shoes above in my opinion need some work and as conceptual pieces are ok but to progress in the real world you will need to listen and become more grounded.”

I do not understand what you mean by a “conceptual design”. This design below is called “Foamposite” made ​​by Nike, and many years ago that. There are grounds for thinking that the design “In the Flesh” should not have any problems in their manufacture. Or I’m wrong.

Thanks for your comments

Before designing the outsole of “In the flesh” design, I knew I had a problem to solve with traction. Vertical tissues, maybe these need something like a zig zag, and more depth in the relief. Any tip? I would like to keep the lines as they are, to keep the concept clearer.

Greetings.

There is a concept called “razzle dazzle”. In basketball, it was a flashy, distracting maneuver, designed to dazzle, or temporarily (figuratively) blind, the opponent. It does not necessarily score any points, it may cover up other weaknesses in the game.

Designers can use different techniques to razzle dazzle a client. However, if they are not able to back up the expectations with true “game” skills, then it all falls apart, sometimes slowly, sometimes very quickly.

Right now you are experimenting with the PS “razzle dazzle” moves to hide the holes in your abilities. You need to concentrate on the basic skills and take some time and patience to work on those.