Women in Industrial Design

@yo, thank you for your words. It’s definitely enlightening to hear corporations and firm would love to hire female designers, yourself included :sunglasses: . Browsing through Amina’s work well exemplifies her persistence in the field…something I really admire as a trait of character. Her work expands with so much variety and design interest. thanks for sending the link and also for sending this thread to your network of women in design. Looking forward to their thoughts!

@sarahsitz, Thanks for your thorough reply. It sounds like you’re enrolled in a Master’s program, judging by the fact that your classmates are from diverse backgrounds and yourself having another work experience. Very much enjoyed your reply!

@shuphrk88, I agree with your point of view that most girls may not have been exposed to activities and interests that boys had a chance to while growing up. It is still part of a social norm that influences ID in a certain way, and it will take few more decades to start seeing a big shift. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

@sanjyoo9, Ha! Funny how some things won’t seem to change. I was originally planned to major in Interior Design at Pratt but all that shifted when it was noted 90% of students were female sparkling from head to toe on a daily basis . It did seem like (then) Interior Design students were opposing mirrored reflection of ID students. I did have an older brother growing up and didn’t mind at all of locker room-esque ID shops, so perhaps that smeared a bit of influence…

@onepaisley, Wow, great to hear 90% graduating classmates from your school are still employed as IDers. I had some thoughts on this "tall, white, (maybe even good looking with a bit of charm) stereotyped male designer applicants…they certainly exist, and there are a good dominant number of them in the field. Charm and looks of an individual goes only so far in ID since most resumes are first filtered by software knowledge/skills/experience without a direct network contact… Thanks for the link to pensole! I didn’t know such program existed.

@jon_winebrenner, I do observe greater number of female UX designers working in the field, but it would be interesting to see what the actual number comes down to in other design fields as well. Perhaps Core77 can conduct such a survey. You’re right on the point about ID being closer to quantitative opposed to qualitative…although, some ID companies are heavily dependent on research and they rely on their industrial designers to conduct studies. Interesting view regarding Baby Boomers population and previous generations… On a side note, your presentation @NW IDSA Conference inspired me to(quote) “create the dots in design, with the ability to connect disparate piece in new creative ways”

@iab, thanks for your comment. I’ll do some research on papers that relate to engineering field…Wow, 1 in 10 women are only considered for the position?? That just made my jaw drop to the floor… your ramblings are more than helpful :slight_smile: Thank you for your input. I’m only inspired to work harder to be considered as the top 1% candidate among men & women applying to a prospective company.

@Holixx, I’m leaning heavily towards your comment about surrounding yourself with women is preferred in a workplace. I was the only female designer for two years until another female joined our team. I noticed now I no longer make frequent stops by the marketing group (all girls team) to chat about weekend plans and causally review restaurants and talk hair. It does relieve a bit of burden to not be the only one who doesn’t get all the Star Wars movie reference jokes…:wink: