2013, a year for Epic Sci Fi

Pacific Rim looks terrible as a film, but as a giant-robots crushing things looks awesome. Transformers was also a terrible film, but it was still a fun robot action smash fest.

Oblivion actually looks pretty awesome.

Right, forgot about the second Star Trek!

Pacific Rim is not a thinker, just enjoy the sites :wink:

I enjoy watching these movies for the design, the trailers look good, looking forward to them.

For 2012, the most convincing ID world was Total Recall (2012), the products and the “physics” of the world were well thought out. with the exception of the light rope. The Blade Runner homage world was the best yet.

The star navigation interface from Prometheus was mind blowing. Surgery machine, great concept, not so convincing after the shock settles.

There’s something called ‘The Host’ by the author of those teenybopper Twilight films. Stars Diane Kruger which is a shame since the film looks pretty weak - she’s too good for that. But its futuristic and slick and Gattaca-esque judging from the trailers.

Re: Prometheus, 2013 should at least have some more info on the sequel (to the prequel)…

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla remake, I’m a fan of Del Toro though, So I’ll see it.

Full Star Trek Trailer is nerdgasm worthy:

between Pacific Rim and Star Trek, San Francisco sure is getting the crap kicked out of it:

The above youtube’s been pulled, but this is up today:

The talk is the baddy is meant to make you think it’s Kahn, but it’s a red herring, which brings me to some favourite Star Trek trivia:

and that ILM did the special effects on the first Star Trek reboot, which led to this:

You’re right, some films I like to watch just because of the design of the world the story takes place in, but sometimes the writing/directing/acting are just too much of a deal breaker for me. I also think that surgery machine from Prometheus seemed pretty wonky. I mean why would a female captain have a med pod in her room that was only calibrated to work on males?

I really like Benedict Cumberbatch from BBC’s Sherlock so I’ll be checking out the next Star Trek.

I think the main accepted theory was that it was there for Weyland, not Vickers.

But there’s also some other fun theories about Charlize Theron being a robot…or a really hot transvestite. :laughing:

not gonna lie, that med pod scene made me really squeamish. The dude next to me also just happened to be munching on a big bag of dried cuttlefish at the time.

Where the heck were you watching the film? Osaka? :wink:

The subtext is that Shaw is a lone female in a misogynist spaceship society. She can’t do what she wants, can’t get the healthcare she needs, and the medpod can’t help her either.

Am I alone in seeing resemblances between the medpod shape and the alien’s head? Something about the machine reminds me of the original Giger drawing.

Ridley Scott’s redo of Blade Runner out in 2013? Probably not:

“Harrison Ford may take a small role in Ridley Scott’s forthcoming Blade Runner sequel, according to the director.

In an interview with the Independent, Scott said he hoped Ford would take a guest role in the planned project. “I don’t think it’ll be Harry [starring],” he said. “But I’ve got to have him in it somewhere. That’d be amusing.”

It emerged earlier this year that Ford was in talks for the new Blade Runner film, which has since been revealed as a sequel with a female protagonist at its core. The actor, now 69, played the lead role of replicant hunter Rick Deckard in Scott’s classic 1982 future noir. Scott’s involvement was revealed in March last year and followed his decision to return to science fiction film-making after three decades with Prometheus, a film “set in the same universe” as 1979 futuristic horror Alien.”

I dont know whether to feel good that an Evangelion inspired movie is coming out or be bummed because now there will probably never be an Evangelion movie because it will just seem like it was a pacific rim knockoff :angry:

anyways, anything guillermo del toro is usually good in my book.

just take that sentiment and leave… haha :smiley:

too many film critics these days!

hey, the ‘pointing out of prometheus plot holes’ party ended like 6 months ago…

Hey, can’t quote out of context - I clearly said it looks terrible as a film, but awesome as a 90 minute barrage of robots beating stuff up.

If you sit through that and go “wow this plot of people trying to save the world from an Alien worm hole is a novel concept” then I have a DVD collection I want to share. :wink:

i see your point, and im not excitied about it because i think its a novel concept, but the same could be said about almost everything in this world, movies, music, food, even design!
rarely is there anything anyone on this board comes up with that is a COMPLETELY new concept or idea, but we dont come out of the woodwork bashing it, (well maybe some of us do :stuck_out_tongue: )

point being, yes i love movies of that genre, so when another one comes out and is kind of just a rehash of the aliens vs us or giant monster vs us concept im happy because i enjoy it and it never gets old to me.
I think most people feel that way about genres but yet feel the need to try and flex their “Film” knowledge by stating that the plot is not new or the acting is not award worthy, etc.
Not gonna say that people cant voice their opinion, but i just think its a moot point, and generally no one disagrees with what you are stating, they just dont care.

that was the first ive seen of the oblivion movie. interesting how the basic setting of that and after earth are so similar, but the trailer for oblivion makes the actual story seem quite different? at least thats what i get from the trailers.

I had the same feeling. Seems like that classic situation where two studios do “astroid ending the earth” movies. Essentially two studios did “post human” Earth movies.

dont forget about Antz vs A Bug’s Life!

exactly.