PhD in design/industrial design

I thought about pursuing this option right after I graduated. It was in the 6 months that I couldn’t land a full-time ID position with my shiny new BFA of ID degree, which I had ignorantly thought 100% guaranteed me any ID job that was out there, that all I needed to do was apply. Boy was I wrong. My line of thinking was probably motivated by spite against “them”… “well if I’m not going to get hired with this, then they’ll HAVE to hire me with a PhD of ID”. Also not very smart. I was looking into Umea in Sweden, considering it very seriously. Then I landed a job, and then it all became clear how it all really works. I learned more in that first 3 months than I did in 4 years of ID school. Since then, I’ve read multiple articles and discussions that show you are less likely to be hired with a PhD of ID degree with no experience, versus a recent grad with a BFA. Mainly, the company would be hiring a Doctor, who would demand (or feels they deserve) higher pay, yet lacks any real world experience. In the eyes of HR, they could hire two equally real-world-experienced individuals. One who is eager, young and willing to earn less, or a presumably stuck up Doctor with the same industry experience who will make them bankrupt with their salary requirements. I’m not saying their isn’t an enormous value in the PhD of ID title, as I still think about it on occasion. But earning that title won’t guarantee you a full-time ID position. More or less for teaching, research, writing, philosophy, etc… which all can be achieved through lesser degrees. Best suggestion, earn a BFA, and work your ass off while you do it. Internships don’t hurt, either.