Industrial Des. along with Mechanical Eng.

Hey Craz,

I hope you’re not making your decision entirely on info from this thread, make sure you talk to other people as well, its a big decision, your university education will greatly influence the way you think, for better or worse.

To balance the positives I’ve said about an ME degree, here’s an example of where it actually detracted from my ability to think and create:

I was asked to create a little prototype with a certain dimension and weight, to demonstrate physically the dimensions and weight a client had asked for and generate some discussion on the practicality of these guidelines. Everything in engineering is extremely algorithmic, so my first response was to pick two materials, measure the densities of them, and calculate the volumetric proportions needed to arrive at the proper weight and dimensions. The calculation was easy, but I was having a lot of trouble getting them to fit at these proportions, cutting the metal to exactly the right size, etc. After spending a few hours on it, the shop manager came to help me, he ended up creating a box of the right proportions in plastic, filling it with lead weights until it was just under the weight threshold, then filling the cavity with hot glue until the exact weight was achieved. It took about half an hour. It seems incredibly stupid looking back on it, but that’s what can happen if you don’t keep your mind open to other disciplines from the start.