Mechanical Engineers Invading ID

Im too in a position that I can become that ME guy:

Greenman wrote:

“… he couldn’t develop a concept and present a proposal to save his hide, yet acted as though his CAD screenshots were entitled to be manufactured because he had tenure… Add a strong dose of passive aggressive behavior into the mix and you have the perfect storm of what gives ME’s a bad rep with some ID’s.

Moral of the story, even if you never get into ID, don’t be that guy, but if you do get into ID, have a compelling edge.in 4,5 years”

But in my case, I already have a degree in ID. The thing is that I am (was??) not believing anymore that ID isn’t just superficial. Here some reasons why:

• In Brazil, where I work and live, companies still don’t rely on ID as much as in the developed countries. I think that might be because technologies and investment are not abundant. So, on one side, the client needs the designer to do both, design and engineering, or he hires an engineer and a recent graduated or undergraduate designer to make the product form; on the other side, the client with the best technology always wins here, is different from a place where every body kind of have the same technological knowledge and therefore design count a lot.

• In this interview: http://www.dezeen.com/2012/12/03/designers-should-be-more-entrepreneurial-tom-hulme/ this guy, Tom Hulme, says he wanted to make impact, so he began in the business side of things. Designers also have to learn a lot of other skills to make strategic decisions

• The posts shown in the blogs Core77 and HumanInvent, the blogs that I really Love, are from a different category than the posts shown in, for example, Dexigner, Dezen or Mocoloco. I love Invention more that I love Design. I think Design education may be more about culture and communication, living a hole in technical fundamentals that are important for freedom of creation.

• Other guy, Anthony Gormley, an excellent artist, is graduated in 3 professions (don’t remember witch ones). This is proof that horizontal knowledge don’t affect creativity

I think about the decision of study ME for a long time. Until i read this forum i was sure i was going to study ME. Now I am in doubt. My biggest fear is that my creations will never reach the level that I wanted for them.

Great comments you posted, keep them coming!