UK/London >>> Design Events

I cant wait for the new design museum!

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/heatherwick-studio/shop/?gclid=CLSG9dbZ17ACFW1ItAod2wJZ2w

Tom Heatherwick exhibition at V&A London (Terence Conran calls him the “Leonardo da Vinci" of our times). It runs until the end of September if you can brave the Olympic crowds

What are they doing, moving buildings or something? I hadn’t heard out here in the w country…

Yep !

wow, that looks impressive!

Looks awesome doesn’t it !
The current design museum is so small they can barely fit anything in there, they will ba able to have a much larger permanent collection and more exhibits on at the same time. Plus the building looks cool

These are always fun…

The Midcentury Show
Sunday 14th October 2012
10am-4pm

North Gate
Wellington Place
Lord’s Cricket Ground
St John’s Wood
London NW8

Admission
Entrance £7 on the day
e-ticket £6 (sales close 7th October)

Midcentury Modern
Sunday 2nd December 2012
10am–4pm

Dulwich College
London SE21 7LD

Admission
Entrance £7 on the day
e-ticket £6 (sales close 25th November)

WE POP-UP AT THE DESIGN JUNCTION
FREE ENTRY with registration
20th-23rd September 2012

Design Junction takes the London Design Festival by storm this September when it welcomes Tramshed, The Crafts Council and Midcentury.Modern into its new venue in the centre of London. Design Junction attracted 6,500 visitors last year. Tramshed was declared by many the best show of London Design Week…‘The brilliantly curated Midcentury Modern is a must-visit event for anyone after original mid-century design.’ (Charlotte Abrahams, freelance design writer FT How to Spend it, Guardian, Observer, Elle). The Crafts Council has a record of stellar shows. All four combine to create a supershow with top brands including Benchmark, Pinch, Matthew Hilton, Hitch Mylius, Cappellini, Cassina, Artek, Modus, StudioIlse.

Visit our pop up shop of designers and dealers as well as seminars and Pecha Kucha from world famous architects and design behemoths or put your feet up in hand-built cinema designed by art and design collective The Decorators who with and film footage organised by Blueprint magazine and at all times of the day. The cinema will be an improvisation of the decadent interiors that greeted audiences during cinema’s golden age in the 1930s. Popcorn, elaborate signage and flip-down seats will recreate the familiar excitement of cinema-going.

Anything coming up ?

I think a furniture exhibition just opened up at one of the big museums, V&A maybe ?

I haven’t really heard of much lately… though I’ve been travelling a lot

Have you heard of anything? I’d love a good excuse to get over to the city

There was a Thomas Heatherwick talk tonight but I managed to miss it…

I’ll keep my ear to the ground and post anything i find

Wow, that would have been good! Where was that (and where’d you hear about it it if you don’t mind me asking…)?

Looks more architectural related, but there’s some product and materials events happening

Petcha Kutcha

Trend Wall

Fture Thinking Talk

Discover the latest products and materials which will bring your project to life

Discover light relecting concrete, self healing reconditioning surafces, evolutionary light structures and how these can be used to enhance your project in this display of emerging materials.

Participants include:

Blingcrete - Light reflecting concrete
Future Carbon
Makrolon Ambient- Polycarbonate panels with aerogel filling
Hollomet- Metal Foam Light System
Organoid Technology- Biofibre products
BarkTex Tururi - Biodegradable Shoe
Jólan van der Wiel - Gravity Stool

I’ve been to a few PechaKucha events here in Ottawa, they’re always interesting even if they’re not directly design related. There was one research lab who was running fatigue tests on cells, and some initiatives to help homelessness through a furniture store (still not exactly sure of the logistics of this one, but it was interesting nonetheless).
Highly recommended if its anything like the ones over here.

Lunchtime talk: What could the “Internet of Things” mean to makers?

Pervasive Media Center, Bristol
Friday, 11 January 2013 1:00pm - 2:00pm

World IA (Information Architecture) Day 2013 Bristol

Time: February 9, 2013 from 9am to 4pm
Street: 1 Canon’s Road
City/Town: Bristol
Website or Map: http://www.eventbrite.com/eve…
Phone: 0117 929 7333
Event Type: conference

link

Design Museum Collection: Extraordinary Stories About Ordinary Things

…at its new home in Kensington, where the entire top floor will display the museum’s collection of twentieth-century design.

an interesting event put on by some good guys over in Wales… worth it just to meet them. They won the Core77 Service design award last year too!

Service Design Network Conference 2013

The 6th International Service Design Network Conference is being organised by Design Wales and will take place in Cardiff in November 2013.

This is one of the most exciting global events of the year for Service Design. It is where experts meet and great ideas emerge for successful businesses, providing an excellent opportunity for new business, networking and learning! Previous hosts include Paris, San Francisco and Berlin and we are certain that a warm Welsh welcome, fantastic speakers and great venue will make this year the best yet.

For more information please visit http://www.sdnc13.com

They’ve moved already!?

I saw this at the weekend, pretty cool!

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/events-calendar#posterart150

My favourites:
image.jpg
image.jpg

No they havent moved yet, looking forward to checking out the extraordinary stories exhibition. Have been waiting a long time for a good general design one.

Went to see Lichtenstein at the Tate last week, very interesting, not a huge one but did show quite a lot of his work I had never seen before.

I wrote a blog post about the Lichtenstein exhibition workofsmart.co.uk