Is there anything like overmolding for ceramic?

I’m looking for the best way (or any way) to mold a material like silicone onto ceramic. Does anyone have thoughts on this issue?

depends on the type of ceramic…? it’s a molded part right?
Usually the smaller part is molded first, so think of it as molding ceramic onto silicone.

yes, molded. In this case the ceramic part is larger - a plate, probably jigger molded. I want to have a silicone “foot” on the base to prevent slipping.

In the process you mention, could the plate make up a part of the silicone mold?

(sorry if this is a dumb question)

I don’t know much about ceramics or silicone, but I have a garlic/ginger mincing tool that is ceramic that has a silicone type circular section on the bottom to be non-slip.

Something like this-

R

Thanks! proof that it can be done is good!

I’m guessing its put on after like silicone print. The unglazed surface I think should stick to it ok. Doesn’t look moulded in.

R

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

see > http://www.phillipsplastics.com/sites/default/files/PDFs/Interface_LSR_No171_ForWeb.pdf

Hey Lew,
I saw that pdf earlier. it looks like it is only for thermoplastics + silicone.

I’ve been searching around and have found a few companies that offer over molding on ceramic and glass. Just wanted to make sure it was a reality!

Hey Lew,
I saw that pdf earlier. it looks like it is only for thermoplastics + silicone.

Re-read your copy jc. :wink:

lol. I guess I’m getting better at being a designer - I didn’t read the copy and went right for the chart!