Designer/Engineer Hybrid Portfolio

Hi Michael,
I also started out as an engineer and transitioned to industrial design (went to design school for 3 years)!

First impression is that the website/portfolio looks very engineering focused. If you’re looking for a position as a design engineer, I think it seems to be fairly appropriate. If you’re looking for an internship as an industrial designer, I would say that it wouldn’t be up to the level of industrial design students.

The layout is a bit confusing, like when I click on “Problem Solving” there is information on 2 unrelated projects running into each other. Have you seen the Design Portfolio Handbook? http://www.portfoliohandbook.com/ They have pointers on basic layout, as well as advice on how to present your work. But I like the idea of the page being divided into “Skills”, especially when you don’t have a full project as you said. I think it would be good to have a few full projects however. Definitely you have a good basis to build upon if you go to design school, and your CAD and engineering background will be a plus!

Now that I’ve come out of design school, I see now that the advice that everyone gave to engineers on this board was spot on – design school is really important to build the foundation, and especially to study a bachelor (I studied a 1 year program plus a 2 year masters, but I would recommend a full bachelors if you can do it).