Industrial Design Entrepreneurs?

If GM’s Design building had been even the slightest bit modest and if there would have been ANY indication that anyone cared or wanted to make their products better in any way I might have stayed longer but none of that existed. It was truly shocking but as I look back on it I understand that they were all living in a sort of candyland where reality didn’t matter. I seem to remember figures like 50 billion dollars of fall back money, 250 million dollars advertising budget - just crazy numbers.

The most telling memory I have of GM before the ‘fall’ was that almost every day I went to the dome, where they took all the promo shots of the clay models and pre-production vehicles, we had a project going on in one of the conference rooms there - you walked in an underground tunnel (not mahogany walled, but close) to get there and every day I passed the same two guys sitting on a black leather & chrome couch at the trailing edge of the tunnel. I never thought much about those guys, other than the fact that they were always drinking coffee and reading a newspaper - and that they were ALWAYS there…until the day I stopped to tie my shoe and said Hi as I sat down. I asked, “Can I ask what you guys do?, I always see you here.” One of them smiled and said, we’re union forklift operators - we move car models back and forth when they need us." I asked, “Cool, how often do they need you” and the response was, “about once a day for 30 minutes or so - other than that we sit here making $72 an hour.” He saw the look on my face and continued, “the best part is that I’m guaranteed 10 hours of overtime every week if I want it.”