Winklbean, Wooden Toys

I’d post some drawings but my design process is more assemblage than sketch since I have a hard time conveying the 3dimensional in the 2dimentional realm. I’ve always found it easier to see what materials I have on hand and allow them to dictate or influence the design of the work. Even my furniture is done this way. So here’s some prototypes.

With the Winklebeans, I started out with stock construction material and was looking to design a “dragon” for a client. This was the first incarnation.

I liked the idea of movable pieces but wasn’t crazy about the idea of small pegs sticking out on the character. So I switched to magnets and made the piece larger.

This piece was too literal for my personal tastes so I went back to the original piece and started using finer materials. I also liked the idea of using elements in multiple places, (ears for horns, tail for hair, etc.). So that’s how I came up with the designs I currently have.

I guess it would be easier to sketch things out, but I always run into issues with how the material behaves or the best way to assemble the work and I just find it easier to address those issues as I make the product. I’m fortunate in that I have the skills and facility to work this way. Does anyone else work without drawings or am I just doing it wrong?