Design scene in Canada

1. Will: How do you know about Revision Eyewear when you are in Alberta!!! I wouldn’t know of them if I hadn’t had an interview 6 years ago there…and I’m in the same town.

2. How much experience do you have? If I had less than 3 years experience, I’d stay where I was at. It seems as though N.A. product design is still waiting for the end of the recession.

The great openings are being bombarded by people with experience and great portfolios. If either is thin, it might be hard (still try, just keep your day job).

1. What kind of company do you want to work for? Corporate or consultant? Big or small? This effects your choices more than country.

2. Canadian design is not nearly as dynamic as in the US. As already said, BlackBerry is shutting down. Bombardier is in lockdown (imho). There are always start ups (Canada is famous for them), however Canadian entrepreneurs and engineers (in general) have almost no knowledge of design. They think it is a luxury that is added on once you’ve succeeded rather than a core competency that needs to be in at the beginning.

On the consultancy side, you might be more successful in finding something. I don’t really know who hires consultants in Canada, so perhaps the work is more exciting.

1. Canada is a wonderful place. The wages are lower than the US, but the living standard is pretty much the same (after taxes and insurance, it’s pretty much the same amount on either side).

2. Lastly, if you want to start-up it is a good place. It’s a very competitive place to attack the US market. Also, it is normally less competitive internally, so if you have a great idea, it will have the space to grow. There are also alot of grants for small business and young entrepreneurs.