Products/Features tied to Consumer Insights

I’m especially impressed with Ford’s hatch opener/closer. Mostly because they thought it through and understood the need for both open and close features. I’m assuming the car has a keyfob proximity sensor that turns on the motion sensor - I’m sure it is disabled when the vehicle is in motion or in gear but I wonder how they handle sitting at idle - for instance if I was sitting in the driveway with the car running at idle and my wife walked out of the house with a big wreath, walked to the back of the car and waved her foot, you’d expect the hatch to open…BUT, if I was sitting at a red light behind a funeral procession and put the car in park (in idle) to wait for the procession, could someone walk behind my car and wave their foot and run…laughing as my hatch came flying open? I wonder, I wonder.

Many years ago when I designed the Sightline Circ Saw, the fundamental differentiators of that product were direct results of consumer research. People have trouble following a line when cutting; poor viewing angles, dust covering the line, etc. The line of sight and the line of the cut had nothing to do with the location of the user’s hand - By combining the line of cut with the line of sight AND the center-line motion of the user’s hand, it became a much easier tool to use.