2012 Win8 Sketching Tablets

This is a thread to collect news about Win8 and other tablet PC’s coming out this fall, especially relating to ID use

Many of them are going to have Wacom digitizer pens that will be great for mobile sketching, some might even be decent with light CAD work. What’s hard is to pick whether they do what we need them to do, build quality, whether the graphics are good enough, etc.

I’ve been keeping an eye out, since I’m in the market and I though others might be interested in sharing

Samsung Series 7 Slate

Has the S-Pen, which is probably Wacom
Dual core Core i5-3317U
graphics?

is it out yet and how much is it?

IBM ThinkPad 2

Wacom Pen
Atom Processor
Keyboard Dock
10.1" multitouch HD display

Stylistic Q702 hybrid tablet
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/fujitsu-stylistic-q702-lifebook-T902/

Core i3 or i5
with 4GB of RAM
11.6-inch tablet
$1,099

LifeBook T902 convertible
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/fujitsu-stylistic-q702-lifebook-T902/

i5 and i7 chips
13-inch Gorilla Glass display
16GB of RAM
$1,899 and up

HP ElitePad 900

10-inch
1,280 x 800 (a little low)
tom-based Intel Clover Trail processor, buffered by up to 2GB of RAM
Wacom or N-Trig?

Asus 810

10.1-inch
1366 x 768 Super IPS+ display
Intel Medfield CPU Atom processor with 2GB of RAM
Wacom dual digitizer

I used the Galaxy Note 10.1 which has pressure sensitivity, but the processor-Android couldn’t keep up with fast smooth sketch movements or ellipses. Maybe this new round will Windows 8 stuff will be better. I think there’s something to this category of Dual UI. Simplicity when you need it, but full PC usability when you want it.

The HP is nice. too bad it’s enterprise only…

Dell Latitude 10

10.1 inches
1366 px x 768 px
Intel Cloverview 1.8 GHz 2 core
RAM size 2 GB
Wacom Stylus

The Dell Latitude 10 is a dockable Windows 8 tablet featuring a new Intel Atom processor and a Gorilla Glass-covered 10.1-inch IPS display with 10-point multitouch and support for an optional Wacom stylus. It has 128GB of internal storage, a 720p webcam and 8-megapixel rear camera, and Micro SIM support for mobile broadband.

I was wondering about that kind of thing too… how fast is fast enough?

is an Atom processor (vs a i5 or i7) going to be a pain if you’re doing a sketch with a lot of layers? Will it lag like the android tablet? or getting into a 50 or 100 mb photoshop file?

The other thing that’s fuzzy is screen resolution. What size is going to give you enough space in sketchbook pro around the toolbars without things getting too small?

The HP does look nice, but seems like it may be N-Trig… is that bad? I’ve only used Wacom

Last one for this Friday afternoon… please add to this, comments and other tablets coming out.

I’m trying to make a decision myself and I’ll just collect some of what I find here

HP Envy x2

11.6 inches
1366 px x 768 px
Intel Clover Trail Atom

The HP Envy x2 is a Windows 8 tablet with a detachable keyboard dock and has an 11.6-inch IPS touchscreen with optional stylus support and Beats Audio processing. It comes with a Clover Trail Intel Atom processor, 32GB and 64GB storage options, an HD webcam, and an 8-megapixel rear camera.

Is this Wacom?

Asus Vivo Tab ($800)

11.6-inch (1366-by-768 resolution) display, Intel Atom processor, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, 8-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel front camera, micro-HDMI, NFC, weighs 1.49 pounds and measures 0.34 inches thick.
display includes a Wacom digitizer

Sony Vaio Duo 11 ($1,100)

Tech Specs: 11.6-inch (1920-by-1080 resolution) display, Intel Core i3 processor, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB of storage, HD webcam, two USB ports, HDMI out, VGA out, Ethernet port, SD/Memory Stick slot, weighs 2.8 pounds and measures 0.7 inches thick. includes a stylus with digitizer.

a cautious (2mm nibs) WOOHOO!

Edit: I woohoo’ed too early. It’s a 20-inch display, not a tablet-pc. Might still be interesting though…

Nice one Holtag… didn’t you get a Modbook or something - how’s that working out?

Here’s a similar product… a USB 13in wacom monitor w/ 256 pressure levels

sweet deal for $350 US

This one looks pretty good too

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix: i7 processor, 11.6-inch reversible screen, wacom stylus, detachable keyboard has extra battery power, arrives next month

!@#%* They all keep falling short in one way or another! #$%^&

I can’t dumb down to an 11.6" size for sketching, our 14.1" Toshiba Tecras are as small as I’d like to go, but I don’t see anyone venturing into the 14-15-or-above range, so I’ve been looking only at the largest stylus supported tablets.

Here are two good links for summaries of what’s out there (except for the CES stuff, hopefully they’ll add the new ones soon);

https://sites.google.com/site/davidsmithsprojects/other-projects/windows-8-tablets

I got word of the Asus Taichi (there’s an 11.6" version already available but I found out there’s a larger 13.3" version. The CONS include a wimpy graphics engine and the stylus is NTrig (so only 256 pressure levels);

http://taichi.asus.com/

Then this morning I got wind of a BIG tablet just for DESIGNERS, architects and photographers (huh??) The Panasonic 4K Tablet (that’s it’s model designation but might likely end up being its price too). 20" tablet (that’s not a typo), Core i7, lots of ram, NVidia GEForce graphics engine, stylus support…COOL;

Wow, seemingly everything we want - then I dug deeper, the CONS appear to be 2 hr battery life and a fake stylus (it uses the Anoto Live digital pen; http://www.anoto.com/lng/en/pageTag/page:products/mode/view/documentId/998/ and then the dream died.

We’re probably spoiled by our Tecra’s Wacom sensitivity - does anyone have good feedback for NTrig? If it was acceptable, then the Taichi 31 would be worth a look.

So freaking true.

It’s either a too-small screen with a nice ID, or a larger screen/0lder convertible with a less attractive look (that matters to me)

I’d like to hear a sketcher review of the N-Trig too. I’ve heard is that you have to have a battery in the stylus…

ATIV 11.6 Win 8 Slate vs. last year’s 13in Fujitsu Lifebook T902

Makes the lifebook seem like the solid choice, but it’s just not as s e x y …

And of course the MS Surface Tablet. Review here

3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000
4GB RAM—Dual Channel Memory
10.6-inch ClearType Full HD Display
1920 x 1080 resolution

Cost? Date?

Wow - 27 in Tablet! No Stylus (could have one?)… 27" MULTI-USER, MULTIMODE, MULTITOUCH TABLE PC.

IBM IDEA CENTER

I’d assume if it’s a standard capacitive screen you could use any off the shelf capacitive stylus, but it won’t have a Wacom digitizer.