Wacom tablet

Perhaps this has been discussed here before. Is there a tablet PC coming out that will have a Wacom digitizer (Cintiq level of accuracy and pressure sensitivity) and also run programs such as Photoshop and SketchBook Pro?

I had a 12WX for a while but it was cumbersome with the thick cables. Plus, at $1000, it was an awfully expensive piece of equipment considering it wasn’t an actual computer. Just seems like a no-brainer product. I’d plop down a grand today for a tablet that would do the same thing as the Cintiq 12WX.

There are a bunch of older models that have all your qualifications (Toshiba, Fujitsu, Gateway). Search ‘tablet PCs’ and you’ll find most of them. I think the best spec’d model of that generation of tablet PCs was the Toshiba M7 with the NVIDIA GPU, the screen is 14.4".

As far as what’s coming, I do a search almost daily! I’m waiting for the same thing you’ve described - the closest we’ve seen so far is the Asus EP121, but its specs are wimpy. I think they’re introducing an updated model for Win 8. Samsung, Toshiba, Dell and others are back on the tablet march…but most are not spec’d for us, have small screens and aren’t built to run heavy duty.

I’m watching these posts like you are…waiting, waiting.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the Surface Pro tablets that are coming out soon all have Wacom digitizers with 1920x1080px displays and run Windows 8.

Here’s the good and the bad, as I’ve seen it posted (and I haven’t seen anything specific to the screens being stylus ready, although the Samsung Slate 7 was, but I haven’t seen any confirmation that either uses a Wacom digitizer nor would store a stylus onboard (that’s important to me));

Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro tablet against Surface Pro tablet:

Processor, RAM: Well, it is one of major factors that differentiate a Windows Pro machine from a Windows RT tab. The former is meant to run on advanced Intel x86 processors, while the latter is to tout ARM-based chips. In the case of the Samsung and Microsoft Windows Pro tabs, both the machines get power from the third generation Intel Core i5 CPUs, 4GB of RAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Display Screen: Surface Pro is rather smaller with a 10.6-inch display compared to ATIV Smart PC Pro that sports an 11.6-inch LED Full HD display. Both the devices have the same screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Well, there is a difference of an inch in screen size and so the Samsung machine is more ideal for using as an Ultrabook, but it will not be as comfy as Surface Pro for on-the-go use.

Storage: Windows 8 tablets have solid-state hard drives and they do offer a high 128GB capacity. Surface Pro comes in 64GB and 128GBs, while ATIV Smart PC Pro also has a 128GB version. That is, users who have to store lots of data can just opt for these machines apart from the ordinary tablets.

Firmware, Apps: Needless to specifically mention, both Samsung and Microsoft tablets feature Windows Pro, a full-blown version of the new operating system from Microsoft. It is the same version that you can find in personal computers. Therefore, all computer centric Windows applications and software items will work in the tablets. It makes the devices highly compatible for office and enterprise purposes. Users can perform all their computer activities on the move now; they can easily compose mails, receive mails, prepare and edit docs, spreadsheets and presentations on Surface Pro and ATIV Smart PC Pro.

Dimensions: Surface Pro features the dimensions of 10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53 inches, while ATIV Smart PC Pro measures in at 11.6 x 7.2 x 0.5 inches. Yes, the latter is thinner, which is also lightweight with 1.89 pounds when pitted against the 2-pound Surface Pro.

Connectivity: When it comes to connectivity options, Surface Pro has USB 3.0, microSDXC, headphone jack and DisplayPort video out. It is when the Samsung Windows 8 tablet has USB 3.0, headphone-out, micro HDMI, multi card slot and more.

Price, Availability: Microsoft is yet to declare pricing details of Surface Pro. The tablet is reportedly to go for shipping in January next year. As per rumor mills, Microsoft that sells Surface RT for a starting price of $499 may head to price the basic model of Surface Pro at something around $1000.

This is when Samsung is to start selling ATIV Smart Tab for a starting price of $1,199. Both the machines will be coming for higher prices since they are something beyond mere tablets. You will have to purchase the dock connecting keyboards for extra prices, however. Surface RT’s Touch Cover comes for a price of $100.

Here you go, but it’s small.

I’m seeing stylus support (of some sort) from Asus, Dell, HTC, HP, Lenovo, Samsung and Sony - you’ll have to do some research to figure out which models are coming out, when and whether they’re Wacom or capacative, etc. None yet that I see have a big enough screen or well enough spec’d GPUs.

The Tiachi from Asus looks promising and shows a 256 level stylus in the video (but not in the specs), so it may be Wacom or some hopeful equivalent http://www.excaliberpc.com/621485/asus-taichi-21-dh71-11.6-touch.html

I continue my daily search for that perfect one…

Thanks for all of the info, Scott. Very interesting. Perhaps Wacom will read this (doubtful!) While the Tiachi would be good, I want it to have 1024 levels for the stylus just like the Cintiq’s do.

On a side note, I picked up one of those new Asus UX31 slim-line notebooks with Windows 8 on it. This thing is THIN!! It’s like a PC version of the MB Air. Anyhow, I only use it for doing Excel and Quickbooks stuff but I’m really happy with it. Asus makes some pretty nice products so if they come out with a Cintiq-level tablet, I’ll beg them to take my money.

No problem Evan - I had forgotten this one from a Dutch company, the Paceblade PM240. Promising in that it seems oriented toward serious processing, good graphics and has a Wacom stylus; couldn’t tell if it’s stored onboard but it’s certainly thick enough to!

Of course, being Dutch & sold in Europe means limited support here.

I’m going to keep watching them.