Winklbean, Wooden Toys

Hi everyone,
First post and just wanted to get ya’lls opinion on a new toy property I’m launching. It’s my first attempt at a toy property and I really dig the design, but I’m biased. I hope this doesn’t break any forum rules and thanks for taking a look.

Neat idea.

Are you making these yourself?

Yes I am Mr-914. I make them individually in my shop at the moment. I’ve launched an Indiegogo campaign to try to get funding so that I can find a US based manufacturer. But as of now, yeah, make them from scratch.

I hope this doesn’t break any forum rules

Mmmm mm … … actually, it does.

See> Discussion Board Posting Standards.

How Not to Contribute:
We are very tolerant of differing views and opinions, but there are some things we do not tolerate at all. Offenders may be warned or immediately banned. Ultimately the moderators have final say, but as a guideline, please avoid –

1. Overt self-promotion and advertising. A short link to your studio, blog, portfolio or product in your signature is fine as long as it is relevant and your comment is the focus of your post. A new user with a 2 word post and several links in the signature will most likely be immediately banned. Don’t distract from the content. Overly distracting animated gifs are discouraged in both signatures and avatars, and images are not allowed in signatures. Please keep your signatures to a simple link or two and a simple line of text or two. Make your statment with your post, not your signature! Judgement is up to our moderator team.

2. SPAM. You know what it is. Don’t do it. If you find SPAM, please do not respond to it, it only makes the moderators’ job more difficult. We do our best to delete all SPAM as soon as possible.

3. Trolling. Comments that only serve to be provocative, anger others, insult or defame will not be tolerated.

4. Commercial Activities. No direct selling of goods and services.

5. No job postings. Please use our sister site: > http://www.coroflot.com > Links to a coroflot post are great though.

But, we’d love to hear the story of how you got to this point. We’re always interested in the “design_ing_” as much as the “design”. Can you post any work up material? Sketches, prototype models, etc.

I’d post some drawings but my design process is more assemblage than sketch since I have a hard time conveying the 3dimensional in the 2dimentional realm. I’ve always found it easier to see what materials I have on hand and allow them to dictate or influence the design of the work. Even my furniture is done this way. So here’s some prototypes.

With the Winklebeans, I started out with stock construction material and was looking to design a “dragon” for a client. This was the first incarnation.

I liked the idea of movable pieces but wasn’t crazy about the idea of small pegs sticking out on the character. So I switched to magnets and made the piece larger.

This piece was too literal for my personal tastes so I went back to the original piece and started using finer materials. I also liked the idea of using elements in multiple places, (ears for horns, tail for hair, etc.). So that’s how I came up with the designs I currently have.

I guess it would be easier to sketch things out, but I always run into issues with how the material behaves or the best way to assemble the work and I just find it easier to address those issues as I make the product. I’m fortunate in that I have the skills and facility to work this way. Does anyone else work without drawings or am I just doing it wrong?

You’re absolutely doing it wrong. Just kidding… I don’t think there’s a right or wrong way to do “it”.

Doing it, is the key phrase here. You’re basically “sketching” in three dimensions. If you were trying to lead a group of folks toward a common solution, it might prove a bit more difficult doing it this way; more ground might be covered if your thoughts could be captured and transmitted to others.

The advantage to sketching/drawing is that it’s basically available anytime, anywhere.

While I like the magnets, be certain that they are secure. Even if a threat is only perceived, magnets and children opens a huge can of worms. Buckyballs are the latest example.

Good luck with your venture. I like your product and would buy but my kids are a bit too old.

I like your product and would buy but my kids are a bit too old.

So, does this mean I need to pack up my old vintage American Flyer train layout? :frowning: :wink:

Thanks iab.
The magnets are pressure fit but I’m also securing them in with adhesive. I thought they’d be great for kids, but most of the people I sell them to are Hipsters in their 20’s. Go figure.

I know. :frowning:

If I were to create a limited amount of characters for my toys I’d definitely take a long time to set up a vision, explore and refine through sketching and desktop modeling. There is a lot of appeal to toys though when they’re sort of part of a large family, and each one has uniquely and spontaneously emerged from a single artist’s handcraft. Your process seems to fit you, although I’d always stimulate sketching as well. I can see these items appeal to young adults even more than to kids, part of it is probably the small eyes. I always relate larger eyes to an ‘outward-oriented’ character which would resonate with little children, and small eyes to a big brain, a more introspective and intellectual character. There is probably somewhere a good book about such theoretical understandings concerning character design. Anyone?