Hurricane Sandy....Reality!!

AGREED!!! This gas thing is getting insane. I am one of the lucky ones to have power, but my parents and my sister-in-law donā€™t. they have been staying at our house (along with 3 cats) but get up in the morning to go turn their generators on to their sump pumps, refrigerators and other essential things in the house that need power. The issue is that they are about to run out of gas and they both waited over 2 hours today in the gas line. When they do get it we have to hide it in fear that someone is going t steal it. They are already people siphoning gas from cars. It is getting really ridiculous.

On another note, I know cyber you mentioned people filling their cars up to go to work, but we have too. I commute 60 miles round trip. I have to get back to my work. I know that sounds selfish, but business has to go on. I have SO much work to move forward that I cannot do from home. On the other hand thought there are plenty of people that I work with that have it much worse than me and have lost quite a bit from this hellish storm.

This was a viral photo that is actually fake. Given the size of the Statue of Liberty this is way over exaggerated. With a quick google search you will see that there are already many fake photos of the storm.

J

They announced a few locations that had free gas today I believe (or at least thatā€™s what the word was circulating) with a limit of 10 gallons per person. Although given how crazy the gas stations were, I canā€™t imagine those free tankers werenā€™t immediately swamped.

This was a viral photo that is actually fake.

fkninternetā€¦

I wonder now if the folk in NYC will have a little more empathy for the vastly larger destruction that visited New Orleans and its people. :exclamation: :exclamation:

Hurricane Sandy Photographs | Snopes.com You are right :wink:

This ā€œbreaking news castā€ showed up when I did a Sandy Statue of Liberty search on YT. I think it and the still shot (a screen grab @0:04 secs) is from the movie 2012 with a fairly good voice over (until it gets OMG! OMG! cheesy at :48-:50 seconds).

Why do you assume New Yorkers didnā€™t have empathy for New Orleans? I think the whole country did. Donā€™t think it is fair to stereotype like that.

J

imo, only the emergency services people in NY and NYC gave much of a damn about New Orleans

I was in Houston during Katrina (as well as Rita & Ike). One amazing thing is that a big group of Amish and Menonites from Pennsylvania came down after Rita and worked for months to rebuild New Orleans. It wasnā€™t just emergency services that made an effort to help, but I canā€™t really speak for NY

Thatā€™s a pretty jaded statement to make, Zippy. Even for you.

And your opinion is clearly an accurate representation of the views of 20 million people.

:unamused:

I bet Wisconsoners donā€™t care about NY, or New Orleansā€¦just their damn cheese.

Gentlemen, please, can we just calm this rhetoric down. Itā€™s not constructive at all.

These two topics (merged into one) were posted because of concern for our friends.

IM E (experience) New Yorkers (nyc) types are pretty much if it is not in NYC it is of little real importance to the ā€œworldā€ . The reverse is true however (due in part to old time media location, banking, and trading) that the NYC thinks that NYC is the center of all.

Moderator Hat: ON

This discussion has drifted completely off topic and is quickly degenerating.

Just so Iā€™m clear, trolling is not acceptable on the boards.

- Locked -

Moderator Hat: OFF

Moderator Hat: ON

Iā€™ve unlocked this topic.

It was started with the intent of providing support and comfort to our friends affected by hurricane Sandy. Instead, it has turned into a petty, unwarranted and irrelevant critique of our fellow countrymen. I donā€™t want to see it anymore; itā€™s hurtful and counter-productive, and I will not tolerate it. Everyone here is over the age of six.

Limit your comments to the specific topic; this is not a suggestion.

If you do not, I will ban your account(s) immediately.

Thank you.

Moderator Hat: OFF

Thanks LMO. Glad to see the topic unlocked.

Back to the topic got work from a friend today that lives in a more rural area of jersey that he was told he may not have power for another couple weeks. Believe it or not these areas got hit pretty bad. They are out in the woods and have a ton of trees down on lines along with broken power polls. Feel so bad for him. It is getting cold and it has to suck living in a house with no heat.

The ironic part is his house is only 10 miles from Hackettstown which is where Mars is. Hackettstown has power and I drive by his house everyday. Its weird how the electric grids work.

J

Side note, @Scott Snider, nice house!

Uh oh, donā€™t bring me into this again! lol

Happy to snap a few pics for you Yoā€¦but not posting 'em on this thread - the dogs are out and biting!!

:slight_smile:

Tentions were high. It is a beautiful house and glad it made it through it.

J