Sickening...

To me the front logo actually feels a bit smaller, although it’s probably identical to the old one. I’m just amazed at that back surface. I’m amazed at the sense of refinement Apple’s designers have to make things so unbelievably potent with such subtle changes.

My 8 month-old iMAC looks outdated… They really don’t need to put a logo anywhere… :wink:

:bulb: Apple (placed at the centre of the screen or part of screen/screen guard) is visible, when it is not ON…

Looks great, is it higher resolution than previous models? At least it doesn’t say iMac under the screen.

I’m not really that amazed by it. They do the deceptive marketing trick of taking photos at that angle…by that definition if you look at me from the back I have a 6 pack and chiseled abs, until you rotate around and see my beer belly.

Thinness is great on mobile devices, but on something that sits on a desk with a stand, the footprint is defined by that bounding box so you don’t get any real benefit other than it being slightly cooler than the last generation.

Does it run Excel? I hope it does.

This is thin too. Wow.

Interesting. I really didn’t like the black rear of the previous iMacs. It looked like a cheap compromise. I’m glad they don’t have to compromise anymore.

The black back is from 2 generations ago. I have the last gen iMac at work… Aluminum back. Beautiful.

Ray that model is actually like 10-12mm at the edge. The finishing is really nice though.

I currently have the old black back one. I actually prefer it as fits my environment more and looks less like a shiny computer. Maybe just as I have lots of black in my office :slight_smile:

Time to upgrade though and liking the new one in pics.

R

I’m actually more excited about trying out the Fusion Drive more than anything on the new iMac.

I really hope Apple doesn’t get credit for “inventing” something that existed already on that one. Hybrid hard drives/intelligent caching have existed in a lot of forms on PC’s for a few years now. The drive automatically caches data to the SSD and when it runs out of space, dumps the least used data to the HDD.

Lots of motherboards now even include a dedicated mini PCI-Express SSD slot directly on the board to eliminate the bandwidth bottlenecks associated with a SATA drive.

I think the problem isn’t that Apple gets credited directly from anyone in the know for things that they ‘borrow’ - it’s that the marketing machine that drives our consumerisms does such a great job touting the dumbest stuff and the users grab hold of it and believe it’s magic…kind of like the commercial where the guy is slowly swiping his thumb from right to left and from top to bottom of the iPhone 5 screen - we should have already known Apple would figure out the exact perfect screen size while everyone else blew it.

Samsung is starting to do a good job (via their latest ad agency) at breaking through the invented here perceptions and subtley mocking Apple for it’s claimed eccentricities.

The flush mounted, contour following, texture matching-power-button-on-the-back = horrible design.

I have trouble finding it - my mother in-law and my mother whom I purchased iMacs for a year or so ago simply leave their machines on as they absolutely struggle to turn them on/off. I cringed when I saw the photo on this thread showing that exact aspect of the design.

I’m a big Apple fan-boy but their ergonomics went out the window many years ago when Ive’s influence came into the room.

(tell me you haven’t forgotten about the round mouse)

I can’t recall the last time I turned off my computer - not that it’s difficult or non-intuitive to do so. There’s just no reason for me anymore, just shut the cover or walk away.

There’s loads of space in there !

how do they produce the body? cast? stamps? machined?

I would imagine that it is cast and then machined. At least, I thought all these Apple products were being machined…

BTW, on a side note. I visited a couple of faucet factories in GD recently. Basically the same process. Brass casting the basic form, machining to form flat surfaces for seals, tapping the threads for assembly, polishing the exterior for a smooth finish. It’s not that complicated (at least when you are chroming brass).