Good design you love to have

I thought, we were clear enough about “hubless wheels” here, Lew!?

mo-i

P.S: Or is this the first sensible application, ever???

Those are both cool designs. Weird that their website is pretty average and a lot of the other products seem fairly commodity, imported from China in feel.

In my eyes this wide array of design qualities or the lack thereof is
typical for producers of household goods (at least in Germany).

Whereas I have not worked for Rösle, yet, I did a lot of work within
the tabletop category. Typically those companies evolved out of a production
outfit with tight capabities that fits one category of products, like knifes
or pots, but they want to present a full assortement to get store shelf meters
(most important). So they all have to source a growing proportion of their
product elsewhere. Responsible are category and product managers. The
goal of presenting a coherent design language, that is visible for all of those
items, is simply not theirs. Instead it is tried to wash everything over with
branding and CI measures that graphics design is catering for.

And it is successful to an extend. As the consumer focus is not on the design
details of those products. The Pizzawheel stands out, but trying to seperate
your forks and saladspoons from the competions is near hopeless, if you do
not choose to deviate too much from the traditional forms that are inherited
and expected by the public.

You could always do an Alessi, but this is a different brand concept.

Whatsoever, if you are interested in learning more about Roesles Design Process
visit their website at:

http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle/Categories/Unternehmen/Auszeichnungen/Designpreise

or the Red dot file on them:

http://de.red-dot.org/index.php?id=2878&tx_smtdbsearch_pi1[swords]=R%C3%B6sle&tx_smtdbsearch_pi1[submit_button]=go!

As it shows they are working with agencies all over the world and the hubless
pizza wheel was actually done in the USA. (A pizza nation, who’d doubt that!)

mo-i

mo-i: that is what I figured. Same story for most lighting companies.

That pizza wheel is starting to fascinate me now. I have to buy one if I can find it. I want to know how the blade moves smoothly without seeming to have bearings…

moi - great rant

Having freshly ground salt and pepper is awesome, and I love that I can spin this thing in my hands and switch from one to the other. The knobs are cheap and flimsy but I’m pretty gentle with my stuff so I’m not worried.

mo-i your Red Dott link seems to be scrambled; here’s another one.

http://de.red-dot.org/3195.html?&cHash=c0a6ed02ce9c6fd13abd33fd13efca2e&detail=9345&no_cache=1

So, are we seeing a plastic “carrier” that the stainless blade fits onto (held in place by the cover)? I was wondering how you were supposed to clean it safely. An issue I have with sharp things…

like the Joseph Joseph “rotary” vegetable peeler I was given for Christmas last year. Not really that comfortable to hold onto (because it’s hard to hold onto when it’s wet), exposed cutting edges when disassembled to clean (which is a PITA to begin with), and lots of nooks and crannies to harbor crud. (yeah, I know, this should go in Bad Design You Are Forced To Have (but no one forced me to have this thing))

josephjoseph-rotary-peeler-.jpg

Here is another that I keep forgetting I own, because I use it at work. Herman-Miller Mirra.

Looking back over what I seem to be drawn to, it’s all things that have a strong physical element (even the scanner requires something to be scanned!). Maybe this is why I can’t get as excited about electronics. I have no problem paying 2-3 more for a great chair or book. 2 x more for a phone or a PC. I just can’t pull the trigger.

It also reminded me of people’s reaction to when I got my chair. At least 3 iPhone and iPad owners were shocked that I would pay $700-$800 for a chair. I am shocked they would pay $500-$700 for a phone.

I can’t quite “own” this design, but every designer and engineer should have at least some experience buying random hardware from McMaster Carr. The efficiency of their site is astounding compared to other retailers. I had a discussion with a firmware engineer trying to explain to him how to mount a bracket to his concrete basement wall. I tried for a good 10 minutes to find the proper hardware from one of the 2 bigbox home improvement sites and was given huge linear lists of irrelevant crap, even keyword searches failed. It took seconds to find it on McMaster’s site. Newegg is similar in site efficiency for electronics shopping.

No product plugs just honest opinion.

Mcmaster-Carr rules! :wink:

Nice! That thing is straight out of Bill and Teds…

I forgot how amazing that movie is…

Sometimes I watch NCIS rerun marathons so I can look at the Tolomeo lamps in the NCIS headquarters. :laughing:

My new loft is just about complete. Went on a bit of chair shopping binge lately.

Finally picked up an authentic Eames Lounge that I love and have always wanted to have, just never had the space. Well worth the wait.

Also found this beauty. Stingray rocker by Thomas Pedersen. Actually first saw this chair when it was a student final project at a design school show when I was living in Denmark. It’s now in production by Frederica.

http://www.fredericia.com/show.asp?lang=uk&s=furniture&mt=6&mid=11

Although it doesn’t get much use, I’d also have to add to my “Good Design I love to have list” my Marc Newson Biomega MN02 bike. It glows in the dark and just makes me happy walking by it everyday.

R
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

R, that place is looking great! Closing on a place myself in the next couple of weeks… let the renovations begin! Having all of the flooring demos before we move in… anyway, I’m looking forward to a “chair binge” when we finish :wink:

On Ray’s office chair tip, I bought a bunch of these Knoll Generation chairs for our office and i have been very happy with them. I love parking in this thing:

A few years ago I did a gig at a company with a cash-cow product and money to burn. The entire company cafeteria had Arne Jacobsen Series 7 chairs, at least a hundred of them. I mean the real ones that cost $600 a piece, not the knock-offs.

My wife bought me one as a birthday present, though here they are sold as Formway “Be” http://be.formway.com/. Fantastic Chair

Yo!: Great choice!

Since years I am debating a 7series Chair with swivel base in black as new
desk chair, here in the office.

Would set us back 1335. €, something like
1.600,-$.

I never buy copies, but I don’t smoke dope anymore, either…

mo-i

I agree with the first post…The Kindle. I wish I could have had that in my industrial design portfolio. I use my Kindle every day, still haven’t upgraded.

mo-i: That is insane. You could build 4 for $1600.