Anyone in china now?

I posted this in the Design in Asia forum, but am going to give it a shot here too–

Hi everyone,

I’m going to be in Vietnam from November 4-15 for work. I have a return flight to the USA on November 20, and in those last few days I’m planning on taking a trip to Cambodia to see the Angkor Wat temple area. There’s a lot of “information” online but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had done this trip and has any ideas/thoughts/recommendations on the best way to go about it. Also, I’ll potentially be travelling alone, as a young woman, so if there is anything I should be aware of in regards to that (aside from the obvious) please let me know. I am half asian, so I’ve tended to “blend in” a little bit when we travel to China more specifically, but I generally feel pretty comfortable (aka not stared or gawked at) in asia.

• I’m planning on NOT taking a plane to Cambodia. I know this is the quickest route, but I’m also trying to stick to a budget. Can anyone chime in on the best way to get from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh (or Siem Reap, where the temple complex is)? I’m down for taking a bus or a boat or whatever, but the fewer transfers, the better.

• There are a million guesthouses and hostels advertised online, but in my experience, you just don’t know until you get there… but I don’t want to leave housing up to chance. Especially if I’ll be taking a 5-7 hour ride from Vietnam to Cambodia.

• Things to avoid?

All this said, my roommate has couchsurfed in six different countries (unfortunately Cambodia not included), and is almost completely selling me on the idea of doing this. But I’d still love to hear anything anyone can add here.

Also- if anyone happens to be travelling during those dates, I’d love to talk about being potential travel buddies to Cambodia too.

Cheers everyone
W