Role of 5 senses in product design

Yeah, it was the same scent for all Alfa Romeo Models during
that time.

Thanks for your presentation!!!)))Reeeeaally useful!))))Especially things with whirlpool audio cassettes))) Really interesting)))))As well as criterias for tactile and visual aspects!)))))Thanks for your brilliant presentation))))))
I need to think about universal design))))

Cool)) So it was a sort of a part of branding as well))

What’s with all the brackets?)))))))))))))))))))?

R

[/code]

I think it’s an evolved minimalistic smiley.

;-) --> :) --> )

Yes)) It’s lots and lots of smileys:)))))

I believe that when Timberland launched their retail stores they developed some kind of outdoors sent that they pumped into the retail space.

I am lucky enough to work with all senses including taste at Mars. Our design team not only designs the packaging and graphics but I getting really involved in the development of new chocolate moulds and even flavors. We influence the look of the moulds but a lot of times our consumer strategy work will influence the size taste and all around eating experience of the chocolate.

J

have you considered scented packages?

R

We have looked into it. Artificial scent of chocolate is actually not very pleasant. Also chocolate absorbs any scent around it so you have to manage flavor migration.

I bought a bottle of wine just yesterday that came in a box. The box had a field you could scratch that gave away a chocolate scent. It smelled pretty good. Hadn’t seen that before. The scratching is invisible, so you don’t actually see anything scraping of, like a lottery ticket.
Wine was Rosemount Estate from Australia if you’re curious…

And what kind of scent then? I mean is it was made to kind of make people stay in their store for longer?))))) But probably it is more about interior of the space not the actual Timberland products)))))

Wow!! That sounds amazing! So, does the taste of the chocolate its texture its smell somehow influence the packaging design and graphics? I mean that your design team is involved in the whole process of creating of product in order to make the experience of the final customer kind of full and whole))))) By involving all 5 senses while designing the product you cover all areas of perception and create a sort of harmony in people’s brains and as a result make them buy and buy and buy your product)))))

Mmm…Seems interesting))))) Where was this field situated? So what’s the purpose of this idea?))))You can only scratch it after buying…so is it just for fun and feeling of surprise or this chocolate scent is connected somehow with the taste and scent of the wine?))))))

On top of the box. As nothing scratches away, you can scratch it and smell in the store - you don’t have to buy. So I guess it’s supposed to sway you into buying.

Right then…I would buy it)))) this feature definitely will make the bottle noticeable among competitors))

A couple of product spaces that combine all of the senses, cooking equipment is obvious. Coffee (the sound, aroma, sight, feel and taste) products. On the non consumable side you have boating, both sail and power that are bound to all 5 senses. The taste of the ocean in the air is part of the design brief, that is why fully enclosed designs while being the darling of students always fail in the real world.

The scratch and sniff packaging has been tried and has not gone over so well, a lot of the aroma panels were “used up” in transit, and by prior shoppers.

Loved Generator_universal_design.pdf!

Though, to put a little controversy, it never mentioned the overall result of product communication (in the 5 senses) as we only can “sense” a product as a hole, at least that’s what the gestalt theory says. When we are emotionally “touched” we tend to respond better to the usability problems, says Don Norman in Emotional Design.

In the presentation, the author teaches “criteria to consider” when designing universal principles, and do not go against being fashionable. So the big challenge is how to reach those criteria without being emotionless or boring.

Can you please provide me with the Universal Design pdf? im interested in reading that :slight_smile: