Job Search Advice

Okay I am going to take a different approach then YO and not focus on your portfolio or your skill sets, but instead the business side of things.

1. Your resume on your website is barely readable, so if you are sending people to that for them to read you are at a dead end.

2. Your resume needs some work, the layout is somewhat confusing and does not properly convey your skill sets and your experience you have gained from your jobs/school/competition. Go online and do some research on how to properly layout a resume and what information you should have in it. And yeah yeah yeah we are designers our resumes are suppose to be different… but different is not always good. I find that many ID people try to make their resume unique but are weak in graphical design and layout thus ending with a poor presentation. Find a graphic designer and get them to help you… Also you should properly outline your responsibility and level of involvement as it relates to your experience.

3. Your resume lists competitions and your place in them but i cannot directly identify these projects in your portfolio… tsk tsk tsk.

4. I would like you to post one of your cover letters that you have sent out so we can review that and see how it is formatted and written. And please don’t tell us that you use the same cover letter for each company and simply change some words… Each cover letter should be specific to the company you are applying to and should have some type of detail in their about the company and why you would be right for the job.

How are you sending out your resumes and cover letters?

5.How many companies have you sent your resumes to, and have you followed up with them?

6.Okay lets touch base on your interview… have you had any training or done any reading on how to interview?
One school i taught at provide students with a Business Professionalism class and cover interviews, dinners, and a variety of other topics related to obtaining a job(I worked with the groups and even i learned new things). I also taught a class call Portfolio and Professionalism were in the first have the semester was creating your portfolio, the second half was the interview / resume/ cover letter part.

1. Try providing your information to a headhunter, let them help you do some of the searching, but be careful some headhunters are clues and have no idea what ID is or what we do (the number of ones that contact me for engineer jobs is unbelievable) Also take there advice with a grain of salt, I had one once tell me to remove my teaching experience from my resume because no one would be interested in that…

Now the reason i wanted to touch on this side of things rather then your portfolio is that like YO stated, your portfolio was
one that would go into the MAYBE pile (take that as a compliment considering YO’s standards and expectations. At some of the company you applied for your portfolio may have done better and may not have been the hindrance to you moving forward but instead it was your Resume/Presentation Skill/Interview skill/how you answered the questions, that prevented you from getting further.

It is tough out there right now and there is allot of competition and when it comes down to the wire people look at every aspect not just the portfolio.
Okay so your home work, revamp your resume, provide us with a sample cover letter. if you want to talk through your resume then send me an email and we can set up a conversation.

chevis W