Job Search Advice

Jon,

This question gets asked a lot and the truthful answer to this is when your portfolio lands in a stack of papers on someones desk, you have probably 15 seconds to capture their attention and blow them away before they take your portfolio and move it down to the bottom of the pile.

Getting a job takes a lot of talent, a bit of luck, and hopefully a good network of connections.

Looking at your portfolio, you should spend a few days on here and on Coroflot digging through portfolios and start to see what floats to the top of your list. Look at what people do well and see where you fall short. The sketches in your portfolio are at what these days equates to a sophmore student. Look at IDSA merit award winners and see the quality of work they are putting out and then see where you can raise your bar. Portfolios need tending to even after graduation, so if you are serious about finding work I’d spend as much free time as you have revisiting and redoing old projects, do a new project, sketch like crazy, and teach yourself any new software you can. I think your portfolio layout itself can use a lot of work, your name and logo occupy almost as much space as portfolio images. Ask yourself as a designer, should my logo be as important as my work?

Ultimately your blood sweat and tears go into making a great portfolio, and you’ll need to keep pushing yourself til you really feel like you deserve to be at the top of that pile over another student.

As far as networking, I would see if you can attend next years IDSA northeast conference as a good way of getting some exposure and portfolio feedback. If there are any other events in the mean time you can track down it’d be good to go and attend. This forum is also a great method of getting feedback on your work and what you should work on and change on a project now that you’re out of school and don’t have a class to run it by.