How do you make the transition from real life to sketch?

Hey thanks Yo, yes, I get what you are saying, I will keep it in mind.

Here are some images I have been playing with.

All I have is Gimp right now to work with (Photoshop is on the other comp).

I was following some tutorials on Youtube (idcreatures), so that’s where I got the car images from. I’m not very interested in drawing cars, but they were fun to try something different. So I will keep that up.

I just am not sure what to draw a lot of the time. I draw whatever is in front of me: a coffee mug, a pencil sharpener, but it is not very chellenging…and then I think I should draw more complex images, however, I don’t have a Ferrari sitting out front of my door. I am not sure what to focus on? Maybe just keep doing all of it.

But this is where I also got stuck. I could draw from Youtube, but when I went to draw my phone, and a simple cube in 3 point perspective, plus try to get the idea of proper shading…it was a whole different ball game. (I uploaded a picture, it was definitely interesting to see how difficult it was for me).

I also have started figure drawing again (because it is my weak point), and that was fun (got a website off of this site). I did it for 20 min a day for a few weeks and I improved dramatically. I am a big fan of Nicolaides. I could combine the aspects of figure drawing into skecthes of objects for better results, I think. It really helps to direct your mind from what it looks like, to capturing the essence of the thing.

I will continue to keep sketching and drawing, but I am thinking to enter into some competitions to get extra creative and challenged. Is that jumping in too deep? I am no expert sketcher, but I have gone to school for art, so I am not a newbie.

cheers