New Running brand and footwear design - SKORA

Hey Ryan,

The two shoes are totally different feeling when wearing/running but at the same time, both good. Personally, I prefer the FORM. The leather really molds to your foot and feels very comfortable, and almost better after wearing for some time. The BASE is more lightweight and the sockfit is quite comfy. The strap is very solid, but being non-flexible has a different feel than leather and laces that have a bit of a give (though the vamp of BASE is stretch mesh). Both in different ways have a “wear it and forget it” feel - in that you forget they are on.

R

Very nice work , I’m a sucker for asymmetric lacing.

Were you involved in all aspects of the branding and graphical design bits? Got that vibe from their website.

Thanks. Yup did everything from the logo to all graphics, packinging and marketing. Though the website was someone else and a few things different than I might have done.

R

A Short Interview with me about the design and development, plus some concept process stuff.

Stay tuned for more to come.

FW12 Shoes coming very soon!

R

Thanks. Those had seen better days by the time I got pics. On and off the last at least 3 times… With an asymmetrical design like these it’s pretty much the only way to do it.

R

Just wanted to mention that I noticed the Skora shoes popped up on theclymb.com for a great price. $80 for Base, $118 for Form. If these shoes are as good as you say, it seems like a no brainer.

That’s a steal for sure!

R

Stumbled across this during lunch in this month’s Popular Mechanics:

“But they’re so good-looking, you’ll want to use them for more than just your workout”

Thanks for the heads up matt! Looks nice! Will have to pick up a copy.

R

Saw this in the ISPO BrandNew catalogue. Missed the booth at ISPO though (if there was one?)

Visited the booth in the brand new area, or stumbled over it. Nice stuff though!

Wow, been a while since I updated this. My apologies.

Yes, they were in the BrandNew section at ISPO. They were a finalist for the BrandNew Award for the SS13 Collection. Sneak peak-

As well, a week prior at the OR show, the FW13 PHASE-X received Best in Show from Gear Junkie. It has 360-degree reflectivity with reflective mesh, laminate overlays, even shoe laces!

BTW, The FW12 Collection is now on end of season sale. 30% off select styles! http://www.skorarunning.com

New SS13 Collection coming early March. Lots of new styles and will share some development process when it drops.

R

Pics of the FW12 collection below-

Cool stuff Richard!

Hey, Gear Junkie… Cool. I know him.

Hi Richard

Good work.

Are the seamless styles made using hi-frequency weld?

Seamless style is made using no-sew laminate construction. It uses a special kind of backing laminate glue on the PU/TPU overlays in combination with heat and pressure to fuse the materials together. Stronger and more integrated than an HF weld, and also can be used to fuse mesh to mesh or microfiber to mesh, etc.

R

Nice. So do you need metal pattern moulds as with HF welded uppers, or is it a simpler process?

thanks

I can’t recall what the molds are made from, but they are metal I think. It is generally a more expensive and complicated process and one done by very few specialty suppliers (not in the footwear fty).

There are three parts to the process- first the lamination of the hot melt film to the back of the material, and second die cutting of the material, then the hot press lamination of one part to the other within the mold.

The machines are Korean or German I believe.

R

R,
These are very nice, well measured & mature designs.
Nice color palette & patterns…with some very interesting detailing…

• On outer sole, from cylindrical projections at forefeet (flexibility) & cavities at heel, leads to flat base (shock absorbing) … Like

What was the other shoe closure system with Velcro?
Midsole & Outsole is together as a single piece?
There are two different types of lace stay, was it requirement for asymmetrical lacing?

I am in the early phase of shoe understanding, ignore any amateur questions.

The shoe with velcro is below. BASE. It has a velcro X strap where the medial side is fixed and the lateral side is adjust, with self centering tension thanks to central nylon D-ring.

The outsole design goes from recessed to raised tread in key sections to provide different kind of traction as well as wear (shoe is designed for forefoot/midfoot strike so the focus is on the forefoot). Outsole BTW is also curved in section profile in forefoot and heel to mimic the foot and is even concave under the ball of the foot.

The 1pc midsole /outsole, are you talking about the new SS13 model with IBR?

The two different type of eyestay on the leather shoe was not needed for asymmetrical construction but provides a different sort of lock down and aesthetic.

Happy to answer any questions.

R